What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Noise on the GTR 200 Com.

backcountry

Well Known Member
I started flying this aircraft June 2017 the GTR200 com. worked fine for approximately 60 hours. Starting in December the problem now is after about 15 minutes into the flight you start hearing a noise that building to a full squelch noise. If I turn the unit off and leave it off for a while it seems to come back with less noise and then build. Back on the ground and the radio seems normal.
I?ve checked the grounds and the antenna connections.

Yesterday the temperature was in the 70?s and the GTR 200 worked perfectly normal for the complete flight, the first time since the problem began.
However, today I flew the aircraft again and the problem is back. Note, the temperature was in the 50?s.

Any ideas?

Intermittent noise

I started flying this aircraft June 2017 the GTR200 com. worked fine for approximately 60 hours. Starting in December the problem now is after about 15 minutes into the flight you start hearing a noise that building to a full squelch noise. If I turn the unit off and leave it off for a while it seems to come back with less noise and then build. Back on the ground and the radio seems normal.
I?ve checked the grounds and the antenna connections.

Yesterday the temperature was in the 70?s and the GTR 200 worked perfectly normal for the complete flight, the first time since the problem began.
However, today I flew the aircraft again and the problem is back. Note, the temperature was in the 50?s.

Any ideas?

Have you called Garmin?
I had an intermittent display problem that seemed to be Time/Temp related. They aknowledged a firmware issue that affected some units in a particular S/N range. Sent me a new unit. Also, they told me they have some latitude with the warranty period for us builders, since they know that most units do not enter service immediately after purchase.
All the best!

Back