What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Optional Skyview Autopilot Knob Module

ben barron

Well Known Member
Patron
Has anyone added on the $950 Optional Skyview Autopilot Knob Module? Is it worth it? do you need to operate in Expert Mode?

Ben,
Note that the $950 adds both the AP control panel and the knob module.

Neither is required to use expert mode, however, the AP module only works in expert mode.

If you want to stay in simplified mode, the Knob panel for $250 is a huge benefit.

I installed both because I wanted ease of use and auto-trim, which is only available with the Autopilot panel.

Hoping to fly with it early next month.

Ben ... The AP Panel module alone adds a lot of nice features as does the Knobs Panel module and they are easy to install. As Dynon support mentioned, they do not have to be added as a pair.

Speaking strictly about the AP module it is easy to install. I'm sure you have read on Dynon's WEB site about all the features obtained when using the AP module ... the AP Panel module makes those features just a fingertip push away.

Other features include a two-step trim motor speed controller (user programmable to increase or decrease trim motor speed depending on airspeed) and the unit has built in runaway trim protection where if a trim control wire were to become shorted, the trim motor will only run for about 5 seconds then stop.

Speaking of the trim, one of the main reasons I chose the AP module is it has a built in relay deck which is handy for those desiring trim on the stick installations. Another feature is that the pilot trim input overrides the co-pilot trim input. In my case, I kept the panel mounted trim switch wired to the pilot input (as it normally would be) and wired the stick trim switches for both pilot and co-pilot to the co-pilot input on the AP Panel module ?. the logic being during critical phases of operation, hands will be on the throttle and the panel mounted trim switch is right there to make a quick override should a stick trim switch get snagged on a piece of clothing or inadvertently pressed by a passenger.

In my opinion, RV-12 builders considering stick mounted trim switches should give the Dynon AP Panel module serious consideration from both a safety and feature aspect. I feel the AP panel is a great value considering all the added functionality the AP panel module offers.

"Does the trim safety features work while using the simplified mode?"

Ron,

Don't hold me to this, but I believe I read somewhere that the trim circuity in the AP Panel module works independently of autopilot ... this would imply it would not make a difference if the AP was in the simplified or expert mode. That said, to get the full functionality of the AP panel module, it requires the expert mode be selected.

I know the RV-12 trim still works if the avionics power and/or AP is switched off.

The trim functions of the AP panel will work in either advanced or simple AP mode.

I have a 496 center panel and only a map box in the right panel. To avoid redoing the center panel and losing the 496, How about putting the knob and ap modules stacked tall wise on top of each other between the map box and left edge of the right panel?

I have a skyview in the left panel and am interested in the auto trim that comes with the modules. Is there much rewiring when installing both modules?

Last edited:
I have a 496 center panel and only a map box in the right panel. To avoid redoing the center panel and losing the 496, How about putting the knob and ap modules stacked tall wise on top of each other between the map box and left edge of the right panel?

I have a skyview in the left panel and am interested in the auto trim that comes with the modules. Is there much rewiring when installing both modules?

The SV Autopilot harness is replaced when you install the Knobs Kit. The new harness comes in the kit. However, I don't think it is long enough to reach the right panel where you want to install the modules. You could extend it assuming you are handy with wiring. If your plane has the conversion harnesses, that complicates it I think. The modules are not supposed to be compatible with the D-180/SV conversion harnesses but there are a few that have put them in successfully.

The SV Autopilot harness is replaced when you install the Knobs Kit. The new harness comes in the kit. However, I don't think it is long enough to reach the right panel where you want to install the modules. You could extend it assuming you are handy with wiring. If your plane has the conversion harnesses, that complicates it I think. The modules are not supposed to be compatible with the D-180/SV conversion harnesses but there are a few that have put them in successfully.
I have the conversion harness. It was pretty straightforward.

So the trim function of the AP panel works in either advanced or simple AP mode. But will the "level" button work in simple AP mode ?

Autopilot knob kit...avionics cover removal

I followed the advice of the above, saved up and just purchased the Van's Autopilot knob kit. It will be here next week. Do I need to remove the avionic cover? (I really don't want to no leaks now...)

Ben- It is like most things ... if there is a will there is a way. That said, I think you could perform the necessary steps if you are really careful and have lots patience. However, my vote is make it easier on yourself, bite the bullet and remove the skin covering the avionics bay.

There is a connector that needs to have pins removed/inserted which may be tougher to access and you will be able to do a much better job of dealing with the metal chips if you need to cut the panel yourself.

Also, if memory serves me correctly, the wires for the AP module also go to the AV-50000A interconnect module so you will likely need to remove the SkyView for access so that connector can be installed.

Back