What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

electric flap travel

egp8111

Patron
All,
Good news is the wings are on and the flaps fit and move nice and even( within 1/2 degree of each other) Bad news is I'm only getting 38 degrees down travel before the actuator jackscrew hits it limits. It just hits the up limit when the flaps are fully raised. Van's manual says you need something like 42 or 43 degrees static travel for 40 degrees in flight. Will I ever notice the difference between 36 and 40 degrees down ? It's working so well I kind of hate to mess with it.
Thanks
Skip
RV4 #1904
NC

I actually set mine to 38?. This gives me a little margin for the gap seal.
At 40? if someone leans on the flap, it's not uncommon for the gap seal to pop out and hang on the wing trailing edge.

Skip,
When I bought my 4 I did stalls with my 200+ LB instructor in the back. It was around 50 knots clean, 47-48 knots indicated full flaps. Anyone gnats assing their airspeed that closely on short final is wrong. I have no idea of the actual degree that mine move other than full up or down. I'd go with the rest of the consensus thus far and carry on. :)

Back