What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Silicone under canopy screws

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
On the rear window the plans call for a dab of silicone under the screw heads. Is this not done for the main canopy? It isn?t mentioned.

Roll bar screws only.

The purpose is not to seal the screw head, but to retain the screw so it doesn't back out of the plain threads tapped in the roll bar.
That is why it is called for in the hole / on the threads, not under the screw head.

I will add > If you think that a dab of a thread lock solution would be a better thread lock than the silicone - DON'T DO IT.

The reason that you use silicone as a thread lock is that any kind of a "LOCK-TITE" thread lock will do bad things to the plexiglas material.

I havn't had to learn this the hard way, but someone I know did and I've seen more than one post that warns against using any kind of lock-tite anywhere near plexiglas.

Just a reminder.

I will add > If you think that a dab of a thread lock solution would be a better thread lock than the silicone - DON'T DO IT.

The reason that you use silicone as a thread lock is that any kind of a "LOCK-TITE" thread lock will do bad things to the plexiglas material.

I havn't had to learn this the hard way, but someone I know did and I've seen more than one post that warns against using any kind of lock-tite anywhere near plexiglas.

Just a reminder.
A friend of mine did this and it caused his canopy to crack, don't know how but his cracked even before flying.

Resurrecting this thread as I'm about to install this window.

Dumb question: What kind of silicone?

Back