What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compressed Air Hose Size

For building an RV? Unless you are going further than 500' with 1/4" hose, NO. It doesn't matter.

Building or painting

For building (riveting, drilling, etc) I use a 1/4 line long enough to cover my work area.
For painting (HVLP) I use a 3/8" line.
Maybe it doesn't matter. I've sprayed with the 1/4" with no problems.

Use this handy little chart -

compressed2.jpg

A 5 cfm die grinder at 100 ft has a pressure difference of about 10 psi for a 100 ft of 1/4 vs 3/8. probably would have no effect.

However, if you have a big honking compressor and have tools that use a lot of CFM, then the bigger hose size would be better. :)

I sometimes need almost 100 ft lines to get air out to the ramp in front of my hangar.

My die grinder and my orbital sander run noticeably stronger with the 3/8 line. I use 1/4" line for my 1/4" drill, rivet squeezer, cleco remover, and pull riveter.

Looks like I overbuilt. Story of my life. :) Put in 3/4" Rapidair line to my basement and garage and have 3/8" hoses. I have added the 1/4" flexible Cleaveland hose for ease of use the last few feet. And when I cook I always have leftovers...

Hoses have differing flexibilities. I prefer the more flexible ones - to me, with my limited hose lengths (typically 25' or 50') that's more important than size. However, I haven't painted with these yet.

Dave

Looks like I overbuilt. Story of my life. :) Put in 3/4" Rapidair line to my basement and garage and have 3/8" hoses. I have added the 1/4" flexible Cleaveland hose for ease of use the last few feet. And when I cook I always have leftovers...

When plumbing for air, consider each 90 degree elbow to have the same loss as 20 feet of same size pipe...... you can't overbuild.

Back