What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight Testing N437T

Chattin35

Well Known Member
Flight test #5 completed successfully.

Flight time: 1:32 min / 1.5 hrs. 18.6 gallons burned.

Flaps up, full power, static takeoff.

Trial run with EFIS set to MPH instead of KTS. I learned I prefer KTS.

Climbed out at 100 mph for cooling - not needed, though.

Took off with the fuel on lt tank. Once stable and everything running well, I switched to the right and burned until I saw the first indication of drop. Immediately switched back to the left and burned off that tank for the rest of the flight. Gassed up after I landed and noted 6.1 gallons to full in the right tank. when on the ground and note how much added. This will give the fuel amount above the sensor. Burn off the left for the rest of the flight.

Orbited the airfield 1k’ above the traffic pattern @ 4500’ MSL.

Everything was feeling good. So, I departed to the south and did laps around the SW valley.

I noticed some slight grease leaking from the prop on the previous flight. So, I re-torqued the bolts. During this flight, I cycled the prop several times . Noted a very light spray (barely noticable) on the initial prop cycle, then nothing after the next 10 cycles or so. I hope it’s fixed.

Towards the end of the flight, I climbed up to 8000’ DA and went wide open at 2700 RPM. I saw 170-172 mph when stabilized. This is w/out gear leg fairings. It was pretty bumpy so it was hard to get a decent reading. I’ll try and get a more precise reading before and after the gear leg fairings are attached.

It was a pretty boring profile so no video or pics on this one. One more long flight running the engine hard and then we’ll start the fun stuff.

Flight test #6 - More engine break-in and fuel calibration

It's official... I love this airplane.

Full power, no flap, static takeoff, on the right fuel tank.

Once airborne and stabilized, I switched to the left tank. I then switched to the right tank immediately upon first fuel indication drop. Flew the rest of the flight on the right tank.

Did another trial speed run at 8000' DA. Was showing 150 KIAS, 167KTAS at 2700 RPM at one point. Can't wait to see what it'll do with the wheel pants and fairings installed.

Buzzed around the Treasure Valley and enjoyed the beautiful spring skies.

23 gallons burned over a 2.3 hour flight. 5.5 burned from the left tank before drop indicated. 9.2 hours on the plane to date.

I'm feeling good about the engine. It's time to start the serious/fun test flying.

yPgnhKIl.png

Last edited:
Why is your fuel burn higher than average? I am new to the RV world.

Probably because I was running wide open and rich at or below of 5000' DA for most of the flight (engine break-in). 10 GPH seems about right.

Last edited:
Test Flight #7 & #8 -- Stalls, Spins, G Testing, and Basic Aerobatics

12.1 hours on the plane. Opening up the test envelope. Having some fun.

UnohhMTl.jpg

Canopy latch...

For anyone wondering, the upper canopy latch handle is taped open intentionally.

Chris, you are having just too much fun out there! Were you up today? My lesson got canceled because a cross country went too long. Im flying tomorrow - hope to see you there.

Back