What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is there a tool for this ???

N329JR

Does a tool exist that can be used to burnish / polish the sealing nose of a 37? fitting?
I have an AN833-6D bulkhead fitting that is installed and encapsulated in cured tank sealant. Apparently during my installation process, I inadvertently introduced a circular scratch in the sealing face of the fitting while torquing the bulkhead nut. I know that I could use a DEL Fitting Seal for this application, but it still seems prudent to attempt to burnish or polish out the scratch in the 37? sealing face. My interweb searches have yet to uncover such a tool. If one does not exist than I suppose that I will polish out the scratch by hand.
Thanks in advance for any input based on experience with a similar situation.
I am of course trying to avoid major rework including tank sealant removal.
Ian

I think you could use a piece of flared tubing (maybe over-flared) and some fine Emery cloth or similar to carefully buff out the scratch.

Also, consider calling Tom at TS Flightlines for an expert opinion.

There are little thin seals that you can purchase that go between both parts for situations like yours. ACS use to carry them. Just looked them up they call them Del fitting seals.

Thank You guys!
That just confirms that everyone is in agreement that I can safely use the DEL Fitting Seals with confidence.
I may try to cautiously burnish out a bit as well first.
Building On.
Ian

Very fine Valve lapping compound + very straight flaired tubing + close fitting alinememt pin / dowel + patience + drill with a steady hand.

Probably lot easier just to get some DEL seals.

fwiw i had a fitting leak and continued after fiddling with torque on fitting. i already had del seals on hand so i used one and leak stopped .
i think i would try one before changing the mating surfaces of the fitting.

Back