What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maximum rudder pedal deflection from center

Draker

Well Known Member
Working up a bracket to mount Van's parking brake to the firewall in the same position as the stock -7A brake line-to-hose bracket, lower left on the firewall. I may have a clearance issue with my left rudder pedal. Since I don't have the rudder rigged up yet, I don't know whether this is a problem. How far forward from "straight down" should I expect the rudder pedals to swing once they're rigged? Ideally I want to use the "middle" position of the three rudder positioning holes, and maintain minimum of 1 inch of clearance between the pedal full-forward position and the cable that controls the parking brake. Currently, my pedal touches the adel clamp on my bracket after 4 inches of forward deflection.

If I can expect no more than 3 inches of forward pedal deflection once the rudder is rigged, then I think I can live with my bracket.

IMG_2160-L.jpg

I remember mounting the valve higher to better align actuator linkage or control cable. So pedal interference wasn?t an issue.

Ryan,

How high off the bottom skin were you placing the valve. I can't really tell from the angle of your pic where its located. I'm still mulling over where I'm going to put mine.

Ray

Parking brake valve

I mounted mine basically a straight shot for the cable from the panel. I riveted a piece of angle to hold it. No interference to the weldment at all. It's Beringer. Maybe that makes a difference.

Ray, my goal is to re-use the existing rivet holes from the F-6122-1 bracket if at all possible so I don't have to significantly re-do the hard brake lines. So it's currently at that height. If the pedals are going to interfere though, I'll bite the bullet and move the bracket some, which is why knowing the maximum pedal travel is critical.

If memory serves, both my -4 and the -6 I just purchased have pedal travel of ~2" either side of center, measured at the cable attach point. The -6 pedals appear to be the same assy as the ones in my -7 project, but I can't verify that the pedal travel is the same in the -7.

Ryan, ok it just looked lower in your picture.

I?m thinking either there or move it up a little and closer to the center.

I have a 6A, but the firewall is from a 7A, so it should be the same. I put my brake valve exactly where the stock hose bracket is. I also moved my pedals as far forward as possible. The limiting factor for pedal placement was interference with the center tunnel cover / cabin heat cover. The brake valve was a non-issue.

FP03032013A0004R.jpg

FP26082012A0001X.jpg

Colin, your bracket looks a bit more compact than mine. i may want to re-think mine, which is admittedly based on another builder's creation.

Here's a better picture of my left pedal contact with the adel clamp when I deflect it just over 4 inches:

IMG_2171-XL.jpg

Anyway I sent this question off to the mothership. If anyone has the exact rudder pedal deflection, it would be them.

Back