What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tow-Bar for RV-12, revisited

Strappe

Questions:
1. Has anyone had the RV-12 tow-bar sold by Van's break at the T-junction where the legs attach to the handle? Van's told me they feel that our break is our fault for spreading the legs too far apart, but my partner denies that. Van's suggested I get a welder to repair it.​
2. Bogert Aviation does not sell a stock tow-bar for an RV-12 WITH wheel pant on the nose gear. However, they sent me their custom-build form to fill out and I am thinking of doing that. Has anyone had them build a custom tow-bar for an RV-12 with wheel pant? If so, can you share the successful dimensions you used in filling out the form?​

I have NOT been using the Van's bar to pull or push the aircraft in and out of the hangar; only for steering. However, in spite of my advice, my partners have, and it appears the axle inserts have popped out several times, damaging the nose wheel fairing.

We'll get someone to weld our Van's bar but save it for taking along on trips in the RV. For getting the aircraft in and out of the hangar, we need something considerably more substantial and with a more reliable wheel attachment method than the silly velcro strap affords.

I think this is the tow bar I purchased from Aircraft Spruce for ground ops at the hanger.

You will need to re-arc the legs so the don't rub on the wheel fairing...

photo url

Minor mod for the Van?s tow bar

Questions:

...and it appears the axle inserts have popped out several times, damaging the nose wheel fairing.​

I never had problems with the Van?s tow bar popping out. One minor modification I made that made it work better was to NOT stick the Velcro strap on the tow bar, but just make a loop out of the strap that can slide up and down on the upper part of the tow bar?the further you slide it down, the tighter the grip. Our tow bar has served well for six years.​

I use my tow bar exclusively for all towing. It broke at the "T" after about 4 years of use. I had it welded about 4 or so years ago and it worked fine. But, just recently one of the legs broke about 1/4" or more from the weld repair site. I suppose it was in the heat affected zone. I'm going to visit with another welder and see what he has to say about it.

Last edited:
Integrity 426 ES

Due to the steering arm coming off the Vans Washers and bolts several times and damaging the Nose Wheel Fairing. I have redesigned the fitting for holding the tow bar. Use a 1.5 in length of 7/8 in tube that the tow bar fits inside of, weld a AN970-416 on one end. Drill the washer to 5/16 in in a lathe to ensure it is centred then these tubes bolt to the nose gear fork side using AN5-4A bolts and AN 365-524 nuts.It will be necessary to open the holes in the faring to clear the tubes. End of problem
JAE

Bogert Tow Bar

I bought a Bogert tow bar ten years ago. This was before the Van's tow bar came out. It has gotten pretty worn out and developed cracks in the tubes. I got a lot of use out of the tow bar and can't really complain. I did contact Bogert and they replaced the tow bar for no charge! After 10 years! Now that is good customer service.
I also have the Van's RV-12 tow bar which is a nice light aluminum unit that is easy to carry in the airplane.
I use the Bogert for maneuvering the airplane in and out of the hangar. It is pretty robust and you can push and pull on it without needing to push on the propeller.
Incidentally, the Bogert catalog is a little confusing about whether the RVA tow bar fits the -12 with a pant on the nose wheel.
i-QNXKWFP-M.png

But I just got the new bar and can confirm that it does fit the wheel pant.
i-GPT9wtH-L.jpg

i-55sNRHf-L.jpg

As I mentioned, I bought the Bogert prior to the Van's bar being available and if you need a tow bar to carry in the airplane the Van's tow bar is light and compact. If you want a more heavy duty tow bar for general use around the home base the Bogert is fast to use and a robust heavy (compared to the Van's) piece of gear. It does collapse for stowage but not nearly as compact as the Van's.
I like having them both.

Bogert Towbar

Yes, I have a Bogert Towbar, used on my 7A, now using on my RV12. Good product I can recommend. Dosent slip out of the fittings. GL Ben

Latest Towbar?

Hello Team,

Our next student built aircraft will be out of the paint shop soon!

What are the latest options being used for an RV-12IS with Wheel Pants on ?

Vans Aircraft
https://store.vansaircraft.com/rv-12-12is-lightweight-tow-bar-and-rudder-gust-lock-ca-00001.html
$306 USD Back ordered

Bogert Aviation
https://bogertaviation.com/products...pos=1&_sid=d52617b70&_ss=r&variant=1212734613
$423 USD (RV-12 not listed but I'm sure they make one)

Aircraft Spruce
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/grnd_towbars17.php?clickkey=2263370
$139.75. USD Not sure if it works with wheel pants on.
It will fit nose gear aircraft with 5/8 lugs but needs to be modified to clear the wheel pant.

Any others?

Bogert RVA tow bar

The Bogert RVA tow bar fits the RV-12 nose gear with wheel pant. This is a sturdy heavy duty tow bar.This is my second one, the first one broke a weld after 10 years of use. I called to order a new one and told Bogert that I had used it for 10 years and didn't feel it owed me anything. The answer back was "send a picture of the break, our tow bars are guaranteed for life". I did and they shipped me a new tow bar no charge.

Attachments

• IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1940.jpg
    IMG_1940.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The Bogert RVA tow bar fits the RV-12 nose gear with wheel pant. This is a sturdy heavy duty tow bar.This is my second one, the first one broke a weld after 10 years of use. I called to order a new one and told Bogert that I had used it for 10 years and didn't feel it owed me anything. The answer back was "send a picture of the break, our tow bars are guaranteed for life". I did and they shipped me a new tow bar no charge.

Wish I had known that.
We had 3 of them in the hangar at Vans. Each had been cracked and repaired at least once.
Finally started modifying them in a way they would not crack anymore.

Make one yourself -- the basic bar as offered by Van's is not complicated. Alternatively I have seen a couple of builders modify an old aluminum crutch (the medical kind) for use as a towbar.

I made a couple of mods to the standard Van's RV-12 tow bar that fixed a lot of flexing I was experiencing. First was adding a short length of steel tubing over each end that connects to the nosewheel turning bolts. The aluminum ends were starting to open up as the bar occasionally popped off due to Velcro not holding on. The next mod was to add to steel pipe sections over the aluminum tube by the adjuster stops and drill a hole in each for a removable steel cross-brace (square U shape). To use, connect the bar ends to the nosewheel, squeeze the tubes together and drop in the steel cross brace. The steel cross brace makes the bar very stiff, and the steel sleeves prevent the aluminum from deforming.

No problems after four years of regular use and the bar is still collapsible for travel use.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Attachments

• IMG_4879.jpg
    IMG_4879.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4878.jpg
    IMG_4878.jpg
    886 KB · Views: 76
I really like my Vans tow bar. I use it more as a gust lock than a tow bar. It seems to hold the flaperons, rudder, horizonal stabalizer, and brakes nicely. And it stows very compact. And yes, I do have wheel pants installed. I do have an additional larger towbar, as pictured in one of the earlier posts that stays in my hangar, but it's way too bulky to carry, and I never saw the need for an occational use when traveling. 650 hours and still ticken. Super decign! ...Tom

Tip: Short pieces of large diameter heat shrink over the tow bar tubes that connect to the nose wheel will protect the paint on the nose wheel fairing from chipping when installing the tow bar. Just cut the heat shrink a little long and tuck the loose end into the tubing as you heat it.

Back