What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 First Flights: Photo Album

doncarljones

Well Known Member
First Flights of RV-12s: Photo Album

RV-12 Fans: I have photos of many of the RV-12 1st Flights that are posted in this Photo Album, with some info about each.

(I was having trouble remembering the few flying today, so I imagined how it will be when there are 250+ !)

The first photos added to this Photo Album were given a First Flight NUMBER ("89th RV-12 to Fly", for example). That has now been changed for later postings to a First Flight DATE ("05/23/2011 First Flight", for example). I apologize for this change, but it has become too difficult to insert new photos in the middle of the Photo Album without this change. As you know, the numbers were only accurate for the first few RV-12s that flew.

Please let me know of errors/omissions; and send better photos if you have them. Van's says there are 332 RV-12s flying. (As of 24 Jul 2014)

The order of First Flights may change from time-to-time as new First Flight dates become available. Especially when dates are close together.

To send me photos of you and your RV-12, just attach the photo(s) to an email to me at: [email protected]

After you click on the link (Photos of 1st Flights) below, click on image to view larger images. Click on "i" below larger image to view caption.

Photos of 1st Flights

Videos of 1st Flights

Last edited:
Thats great Don. I was wondering how to keep track of them. Perhaps when known you can post the S/N's in the captions. Great work. I think this is the start of a very large file.

Thanks for your comments, Marcus! Your suggestion to add Van's S/N's is a good one. I have very few of those numbers - are they readily available somewhere?

Yes, the number of photos will increase dramatically. But the space required on the VAF site will not change. We can only hope Google has enough space on their Picassa web site where all these photos are kept.

I think it might be time for a new "sticky" post on the RV-12 section. How about: "Show us your completed RV-12!"

Just a suggestion Mr. Reeves.

-Bruce

Still waitin' on throttle cables.

N312MK First Flight

First flight this morning - flies beautifully. Thanks to all of you who contribute to this forum - your help to us first-time builders is invaluable !
n312mk

Yes, our local aluminium wizard ( Mike McMains, the test pilot) Whomped the aluminium part ,in two pieces, for us. This guy is amazing in what he can do with a piece of aluminium!
John Foy

Hey John

Are you going to paint it ? I also noticed std rivets on the hood hinges. Was there a reason other than it would save lots of time.

John Bender

We plan to paint it after the 40 hours are flown off. We licensed it as an EAB. I think it may have looked like solid rivets but I think that was just the lighting. We used pop rivets throughout except where solid rivets were called for. We love those pop rivets!
John

Sorry

I didn't ask the question properly. I noticed the POP rivets on the hood hinges. I was referring to that. Would save time for sure. Going to do any body fillers on the alum piece on the canopy ? Any other things ? How did you do the gas tank - leave the window in ?

John Bender

No plans for body filler, that will wait for the painter to decide. We wound up with a leak in the plastic gauge for the fuel tank after we had filled it with 20 gallons of fuel. It had tested fine with just air. Then we removed the top of the tank and removed the plastic sight gauge, replaced the plastic with a .040 thick plate of alum, properly gooped up with tank sealant, and riveted the plate on the inside. Then we gooped the rivets and the outside of the tank over the holes. Installed a mechanical gauge in the top of the tank and reassembled the tank. Reinstalled the tank and no more leaks from the sight gauge area. We had assembled the tank originally when it was hot and wound up with a leak from the front electric gauge plate when the weather turned cold. We tightened up the mounting screws 1/8th of a turn and no more leaks! The plastic sight gauge cracked when we filled the tank with fuel.
John

18th RV-12 to Fly!

First flight for the N7771. 1/25/2010. Test pilot Mike McMains reports all normal and a pleasure to fly. high quality picture

P1010030.JPG

Congratulations, John! Van's First Flights page lists 19 RV-12's now flying. I have no information yet on the other RV-12, so I am counting yours as the 18th unless I learn otherwise.

I am fairly certain yours is the 3rd RV-12 licensed as E-AB.

Is Waco the correct city to list?
Who are the distinguished gentlemen in your picture? (Left:____; Right:____)
Do you want any other names in the RV-12 Photo Album under your picture?

Thanks!

Don

Last edited:
Don:
Waco, TX will do fine. The left gentleman is Grover Rogers, the old guy on the right is John Foy.
No other caption is necessary and thanks for the complements!

Thanks for your reply, John!

When you paint your -12, please send in a photo. I think folks like seeing all the different paint schemes.

Don

19th RV-12 to Fly!

Congratulations to David Barba of Lake Chapala, Mexico! Your RV-12, David, is the 19th -12 to fly! Very nice paint job! You and your plane have been added to the RV-12 First Flights: Photo Album.

Do you have a tail number yet?
What is your Van's Serial Number?
Do you have E-LSA and E-AB Licenses in Mexico? What is yours?

Don

Last edited:
20th RV-12 to Fly!

Congratulations to Meade Duckworth and George Marchman on their RV-12 First Flight! 20th RV-12 to fly. Air under the tires at 11:12am, 28 Jan 2010.

Meade, thanks for your pictures! When you paint SN 120016, please send a photo for all to see. Thanks!

Don

21st RV-12 to Fly!

Congratulations, Vern Hendershott, Spruce Creek, FL, for your 1st Flight on 7 Feb 2010! Your RV-12 is posted on RV-12 First Flights: Photo Album.

Your landing and position lights are clearly visible! Please post another photo when you have paint. Thanks.

Don

22nd RV-12 to Fly!

Congratulations to you, Bruce Russell of Macon, GA, for your First Flight on 20 Feb 2010! Your RV-12 is SN 120113, tail number N813RV. It has been added to RV-12 First Flights: Photo Album.

I see you also have added landing and position lights already!

We will watch for your paint job in the future.

Don

Last edited:
First Flight Video

Hello everyone, sorry for the delay of my posting! :eek: The actual pilot is Alberto Barba (My dad), our tail number is still in process, serial number is 0179 and our license (i have one too) are private pilot license :)

We recorded the first flight, and put some music in it... here's the video, hope you enjoy it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYMi_wo3y2U

Regards,

Congratulations to David Barba of Lake Chapala, Mexico! Your RV-12, David, is the 19th -12 to fly! Very nice paint job! You and your plane have been added to the RV-12 First Flights: Photo Album.

Do you have a tail number yet?
What is your Van's Serial Number?
Do you have E-LSA and E-AB Licenses in Mexico? What is yours?

Don

Great Video, David!

Hello everyone, sorry for the delay of my posting! :eek: The actual pilot is Alberto Barba (My dad), our tail number is still in process, serial number is 0179 and our license (i have one too) are private pilot license :)

We recorded the first flight, and put some music in it... here's the video, hope you enjoy it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYMi_wo3y2U

Regards,

Thanks for the video, David! Great quality, and great music!
Beautiful take-off and landing by your Dad, Alberto!
And thanks for the serial number.

Did I see mountains on one end and a lake on the other end of your runway?
Did you folks build the RV-12 exactly according Van's plans, or did you make some changes?

Don

Last edited:
Flew at lake chapala, mexico

Thanks for the video, David! Great quality, and great music!
Beautiful take-off and landing by your Dad, Alberto!
And thanks for the serial number.

Did I see mountains on one end and a lake on the other end of your runway?
Did you folks build the RV-12 exactly according Van's plans, or did you make some changes?

Don

Thanks Don!

Yes, our runway ends by the shore of Lake Chapala here in Mexico and it's around 2,300 ft long @ 5,000 feet asl. The airplane flew just great, it was built exactly according Van's plans.

David

RV-12 sn: 120141 flew today

We made our first flight today in our RV-12, SN: 120141. Was a little cool this am, with snow still on the mountains. My partner Ben Bradley was at the controls and made 4 flights today. After a few hours of flight he got a low fuel pressure warning so we checked and cleaned the Gasolator screen. That seemed to help, but after another hour of flight, the pressure dropped a little (still in green) so will keep an eye on it. I flew chase plane in my Zenair 601HDS and got a few photos and video.

acsa6f.jpg

b4ahbn.jpg

Jim Olson, Ben Bradley
Blairsville, Georgia
RV-12
sn: 120141
N126BJ

Last edited:
23rd RV-12 to Fly!

Congratulations, Jim Olson and Ben Bradley! Yours is the 23rd RV-12 to fly!
Great paint job! Thanks for the beautiful in-air photos! Looking forward to your video.

Don

Congrats Jim and Ben!!
I gotta say I am not the biggest fan of the RV-12 looks but your 12 with its paint looks awesome!! Congrats!

Great video!

Great video, Ben and Jim! We don't always see video of the -12 maneuvering in the air - usually just straight flight. Filming from the air adds another dimension. And your Georgia hills are beautiful.

Don

Great video- great inspiration

This is a beautiful video! And congrats on your first flight. Inspires me to get mine done soon!

Jeff

Video

Beautiful Video shows what a great job you have done and what a great Aircraft the RV 12 is ..! Congrads.

25th RV-12 to Fly!

Congratulations, Paul Shepard! Yours is the 25th RV-12 to Fly! May you have many hours of satisfying flying!

Your photo has been added to the Photo Album. When you have time to paint your RV-12, please post a picture that I can add to the Photo Album. Thanks!

Don

Last edited:
24th RV-12 to Fly!

Congratulations to the "Daedalus VI" who's First Flight of their RV-12 was on 16 March 2010! They have been patiently waiting for the snow to clear in PA. SN 120031, N6886D. A "Group of 6" effort!

Your pictures have been added to RV-12 First Flights: Photo Album.

Don

Who is missing?

Van's is showing 30, but we only have 25 here. (The FAA is showing 58 assigned tail numbers, too!) Is someone keeping their first flight a secret?? ;)

Tony

Back