What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 First Flights: Photo Album

Thanks Don. I think it may have something to do with mine being called an RV-12 and yours being an AF-1? But I do like the way you tackle the job of building an aircraft. :)

rjtjrt: CASA discovered to their surprise that their legislation didn't actually allow builders to do their own W&B, which they had been doing happily for years. It normally requires the services of an official Weight and Balance Control Officer. Responding quickly to the situation, it took them only 8 months to hastily issue a temporary exemption to the rules so that builders can now do it legally (after first having completed a new and approved W&B training course, naturally). Having dealt with the immediate problem in record time, CASA can now start the major task of amending the original legislation at a more leisurely pace.

RV120035 Completed

First_Flight_Picture.jpg

RV120035 completed it Phase 1 testing 6-3-15 thanks to Glenn Howell (Axsys Air), Dave Knutson, Jeff Hamlin, Darin Anderson, Jim Scott (Aircore), Troy Dorn (Gorilla Vinyl Wraps), Tony Tessitore, all the guys at Dynon. A extra special thanks to Art Loring my 82 year young A & P (and RV7 builder) who was by my side every rivet making sure I did it right and learned why.

I will now go on to learn to fly in this amazing machine…I built!

Ben

PS - just soloed in the plane that I built

Last edited:
First flight N412SB Ser no. 120862

Started on July 11, 2014, and received pink slip and did first flight on October 8, 2015.

140wv9f.jpg

Last edited:
Not first flight for the RV-12 but first flight for me flying an RV-12. Big RV smile... :D

Previous 1200 flight hours were exclusively in a Piper Cub.

I owned a ?46 Cub for 23 years and traded for 12058 with 50TT. Flew it right out of the box with just an hour transition with the owner/builder.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9_1pLgz8yXgalRsY0pWNGREblU/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9_1pLgz8yXgZUM1SkNZdGpoMk0/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9_1pLgz8yXgeG1pNHlUYkhoeWc/view?usp=sharing

missed J-3

Congratulations! My RV-12 is about 3 months behind you. I started flying in a J-3 and have only 300 hrs. in it. Have flown all Cessna & Piper singles and many of the twins up to Boeing 727/737's. I still have a soft spot for the J-3

First Flight

Well, after much waited anticiapation and melting of the snow I was finally able to do my first flight. Although the field was a little soft and the winds a little brisk I decided to take it up. It climbed off the grass in a home sick pigeon kind of way. With the winds gusting to 18 mph I wasn't able to do much but go around the patch and land. The only problem I discovered thus far was that my fuel flow indicating 0 gph. I did have the RV grin anyway!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ty9ba9orh...pq5dSFFua?dl=0

another RV-12 leaves the nest!

After 33 months, I was able to take 1st flight of s/n #0760. I had a perfect day in central Ohio, winds 5 knots, CAVU without a cloud in the sky! Even better than the day was the way the plane flew. Not even a heavy wing!

Thanks for everyone's advice, support and inspiration.

RV%20grin,%20N76012,%204-24-16.jpg

Another first flight

N125JE (Ser# 889) easily passed the FAA inspection April 18 and had its maiden flight that beautiful evening. All went well, although I am very glad that I took several hours of transition training at Chesapeake Sport Pilot center in Bay Bridge, MD despite nearly one thousand hours in -6's and 8's.

Other than needing the expected rudder trim, there were no faults to be had.

Another great design from Van's!
IMG_2274.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! Excellent choice on that ultra-deep shade of blue. Can't go wrong with a bold, simple scheme...I've seen a lot of paint jobs that showcase nice detail up close, but look jumbled from afar.

Good precaution on the transition training, despite your considerable hours in other RVs....a mind set that will keep you out of the NTSB reports.

I am with you!!

I too saw a benefit in transition training despite the many hours in my RV6. The two planes are different and it was great to learn more about the 12 from John in Texas. Enjoy your! Looks great !

First Flight N312RD

Another RV-12 has gone airborne....#120729 (N312RD) has flown for the first time with Mike Seager @ the controls. Reported trim and temps all okay. Phase 1 should be done by tomorrow.

Another RV grin....pictures to follow.

RV12 #120722

:D RV-12 #120722 left and returned to earth on July 10th. Heavy left wing corrected with a lot of squeezing to the right wing and added trim tab to vertical stablizer to center the ball. No picture; it looked like everyone's else's unpainted 12. I'll try to post picture after paint. Entering phase 2. Paint job scheduled for December. :D:D:D

Had to happen eventually!

Kit #120121 flew 23 September 2016.
Slightly heavy right wing and rightward ball, no other issues.

Must have been getting bored on the ground because N951DZ really hopped off the runway and headed skyward. I'm thinking she allowed me to strap in the left seat as a courtesy!

I'm trying to come up with a paint scheme that looks "airplane-ish" while paying tribute to the farm and John Deere's that made building her possible. All ideas welcomed!

My face is cramped from the RV-grin!

Way to go Dave

Congratulations on your first flight! Now get those 5 hours flown off and you can join us for the next RV-12 fly-in. I see you flew from Decatur, will you return to Moontown soon? I'd like to check out your new ride.

6.1 on the Hobbs as of late Sunday. I want to spend a bit more time at DCU to tweek the controls and some of the SkyView setup. Doing a few dozen more landings on that 6,000 foot runway wouldn't hurt either. Man, it takes some practice flying the pattern and final slow enough to land! This thing wants to "float" all the way into Tennessee! <grin>

The "dinner bell" was ringing as I finished my first post so I neglected to express my heartfelt appreciation to a lot of folks who encouraged, supported, and assisted in making this happen (resisting an academy awards type of litany here)...THANK-YOU! to my amigos in the Tennessee Valley RV Builders Group (TVRVBG) for afflicting me with this dream in the first place, THANK-YOU! to the Moontown Gang for friendship and encouragement, THANK-YOU! to my dozens of new best friends in these forums for sharing your successes and lessons-learned, and (drum role...) THANK-YOU! to Scott Millhouse for your friendship, encouragement, advice, and generous stick-time transitioning in your RV-12! You ALL are the BEST "Besties".

The Eagle Flies !!! The Long Awaited For First Flight

Monday morning October 25 was a monumental occasion at DOG Aviation. A little over four years after beginning assembly of RV-12 serial #120644 the time had finally come for the Eagle to leave the nest and take me along for the ride. After receiving the airworthiness certificate months ago, there has been many delays ? some self-imposed, some not. Finally the time had come ? N644JG was rolled out of the hangar into the brisk 48 degree morning air where it was started and taxied to the far side of the airport to get to the active runway.

After lining up with the center-line and applying full power, the commitment was made. Admittedly, I was taken a little by surprise by how fast the RV-12 seemingly leaped off the runway and began quickly climbing towards the broken clouds high above. (Not talking being close to a stall, just good solo performance). I was expecting the RV-12 to hug the ground a little longer than it did based on the RV-12 transition training taken in California. But then it occurred to me ? that was with an instructor in the aircraft more than doubling my own weight and also in much hotter 95 degree air compared to the much denser 48 degree air currently at the airport. The takeaway for fellow RV-12 builders about to fly the RV-12 for the first time ?. everything will happen quicker than when you were in the RV-12 with an instructor receiving transition training. Solo, the RV-12 accelerates quicker, gets off the ground quicker and climbs quicker ? it is impressive.

The first test flight was not that long by design ? just wanted to get the bird in the air, fly it for a few minutes, land, and taxi back for the hangar to inspect for leaks. The return to terra firma was smooth and fortunately, uneventful. Although the time in the air was relatively short, I didn?t notice any control issues with the RV-12, but then again, I did not get it up to cruising speed either. Did notice right rudder was needed to prevent yaw, but knew that would be the case since the rudder has no trim tab yet (plan on installing a trim tab soon). It was a good first test flight for the RV-12 and thus far, revealed no bad flying characteristics.
DSC02400.JPG

The long awaited for ?RV Grin? after completion of the first test flight ? oh, another VAF hat sighting too.

Found something interesting during the inspection which can be read about near the end of the post the link below points towards ? wondering if other RV-12 builders have noticed the same dark oily residue?
http://www.dogaviation.com/2016/10/the-eagle-flies-long-awaited-for-first.html

RV12 Album

How do you get to see all these beautiful RV12s? When I click on the "First Flights Album" link I get a "404 Error" page.

George

Google has stopped supporting Picasa. I will try to find a new link to the photos.
Everyone's photos have been moved from picasaweb.google.com to photos.google.com by Google.
A new link to this new location should now work. Please email me if you have difficulties.

Last edited:
N312RD with paint

Finially got Mis Betty-Jeanne back from paint shop. Hope picture will post.

Last edited:
First Flight N219EM

I flew my E-SLA RV-12 N219EM for its first flight yesterday. I flew for 50 minutes out of KTVY. The airplane flew beautifully. Other than a few minor adjustments to control surfaces and prop pitch, there were no squawks.

I built the airplane in my basement with the incredible support of my wife and family.

Special thanks to Sterling Langrell at Vans for his professional and dedicated technical support. I also appreciate the fabulous transition training I received from Jose Gutierrez at Vans.

Michael Wardle

14acma.jpg

secebo.jpg

2myoqd2.jpg

Thanks for the compliments and questions!

Avionics? I went with the Garmin G3X, ADS-B In/Out, and autopilot servos without the extra autopilot controller.

Paint. The paint scheme came as a result of selling the old family boat in order to build the project. I wanted the plane to match the boat. I have lots of great memories with that boat. I didn't want to match it exactly; just enough for me to give a nod to the old boat. I appreciate how Abby at Flightline worked with me on the custom interior. Here's a picture of the old boat:

s59u9j.png

I work for a sign manufacturer, so we did the paint in the shop. We used the Sherwin Williams Genesis System (Gloss White) and the trim is automotive vinyl. The vinyl is "Avery Supreme" (Gray sw900-832-o, Dark blue sw900-681-o). The interior is rattle can Rustoleum silver hammered.

Trailer. The gray cargo trailer in the background was used to transport the wings from my home to the airport (I moved the airplane back home after the paint trip in the U-Haul). I built the EAA wing cradle, and rolled the wings into the trailer. The fuse was loaded onto a flat deck trailer:

2dv8s4i.jpg

I intended to trailer the plane when I started building, but gave up after moving the airplane from my home to the shop for painting. When I moved the airplane for painting, I used a U-Haul. I moved it in two loads; the wings in one, and the fuse in the other.

The practicality of trailering was tossed out when realized how easy it would be to damage the airplane when trailering. Fortunately, I never had a mishap, but it freaked me out enough to give up on trailering. I have a shade hangar at Salt Lake International, and that's good enough for me.

Here's a picture of the fuse in the U-Haul that I used for transporting the plane for paint. It's the biggest size they rent. I built simple ramps for the mains, and used the loading ramp for the nosewheel. It's a decent way to transport the airplane if the tail feathers aren't attached.

bdmpmf.jpg

I hope that helps!

Thanks,

Michael

Congratulations - twice! One for your completion of the project, and second for taking away my title as slowest builder of an RV12. Old 461 will take the the air next month, as soon as I get a BFR and some hours of transition training undermy belt.

Thanks for the compliments and questions!

Avionics? I went with the Garmin G3X, ADS-B In/Out, and autopilot servos without the extra autopilot controller.

Paint. The paint scheme came as a result of selling the old family boat in order to build the project. I wanted the plane to match the boat. I have lots of great memories with that boat. I didn't want to match it exactly; just enough for me to give a nod to the old boat. I appreciate how Abby at Flightline worked with me on the custom interior. Here's a picture of the old boat:

s59u9j.png

I work for a sign manufacturer, so we did the paint in the shop. We used the Sherwin Williams Genesis System (Gloss White) and the trim is automotive vinyl. The vinyl is "Avery Supreme" (Gray sw900-832-o, Dark blue sw900-681-o). The interior is rattle can Rustoleum silver hammered.

Trailer. The gray cargo trailer in the background was used to transport the wings from my home to the airport (I moved the airplane back home after the paint trip in the U-Haul). I built the EAA wing cradle, and rolled the wings into the trailer. The fuse was loaded onto a flat deck trailer:

2dv8s4i.jpg

I intended to trailer the plane when I started building, but gave up after moving the airplane from my home to the shop for painting. When I moved the airplane for painting, I used a U-Haul. I moved it in two loads; the wings in one, and the fuse in the other.

The practicality of trailering was tossed out when realized how easy it would be to damage the airplane when trailering. Fortunately, I never had a mishap, but it freaked me out enough to give up on trailering. I have a shade hangar at Salt Lake International, and that's good enough for me.

Here's a picture of the fuse in the U-Haul that I used for transporting the plane for paint. It's the biggest size they rent. I built simple ramps for the mains, and used the loading ramp for the nosewheel. It's a decent way to transport the airplane if the tail feathers aren't attached.

bdmpmf.jpg

I hope that helps!

Thanks,

Michael

first flight

Congratulations on your first flight. I hope you can get your dad up there soon so he can get his hands on the controls.

N808SE takes to the air.

Hi all,

After almost 6 years, our little RV-12 is flying. It is an E-AB with a Viking 110. I've been flying quite a bit the last week or so, and I'm really happy with how the plane flies!

Thanks,
Sarah

open

open

Congratulations! I too have a Viking 12, AW cert in January,
still looking for some CFI with enough guts to go up in an Experimental to give me a BFR.
Hi all,

After almost 6 years, our little RV-12 is flying. It is an E-AB with a Viking 110. I've been flying quite a bit the last week or so, and I'm really happy with how the plane flies!

Thanks,
Sarah

open

open

Hi Sarah,

Congratulations! I thought I had seen your airplane at F70 on Saturday? Where are you based?

Alex

N808SE takes to the air.

Yes, I was flying around F70 (French Valley) this past weekend. I'm based out of Chino Airport in California (KCNO) at the moment.

Sarah

Sarah, don't believe anything bad John had to say about me :) I am based at F70 in the North hangars, hangar B15. Please stop by and say hello next time you are down here. Alex

First flight of 120910

Pleased to report the first flight today of G-DOUZ in the careful hands of UK LAA inspector and fellow RV12 builder Jerry Parr. Following Jerry's initial 30 minute solo flight I joined him for a second flight of just over 2 hours and 12 landings. Hopefully another 2.5 hours tomorrow to complete the LAA test schedule.
A 39 month build and the first dual G3X Touch 12 in the U.K.

Back