What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 and 9A Wings and Enpennage the Same?

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I have a chance to buy a project that consists of a set of partially built tail feathers and wings originally intended for a -9. I am interested in building a -9A. It is my understanding that these parts are the same and the fuselage is the differentiating element. I need to know on Sunday and can't call Vans. Can anyone confirm this ? Thanks.

I did the opposite, bought a 9A project and converted to 9. I do know that extra parts are reguired for the tailwheel structure. Also you need to be aware the gear legs are different lenght and will need mounts. The finishing kit which is unique to the A was not included in my purchase.

Dont discount the 9. Its a great soft or hard field AC. Easy tailwheel learner just wont full stall land without tailwheel first.

Yes

The tail and wings with all the current kits, should all the same for for that model, tail or nose gear.
A 7 and 7A tail and wing are the same.
A 8 and 8A tail and wing should be the same.
A 9 and 9A tail and wing should be the same.

The fuselage and finish kits are different for each.

Kits are not current

The kits were purchased in 2004. The tail is built and the wings are partially built. Does the age make a difference? If I do this, I will probably be buying a QB fuselage to move forward. Any compatibility issues? Thanks.

I went from tail wheel to nose wheel. The biggest change is the engine mount. Not much other work to do. If the main gear has been installed, you will have a hole to fill but that is not much of a problem. I left the tail wheel mount - too much trouble to take it out. I may stick a fake tail wheel in there just to confuse people.

I am glad I made the change. Im just getting my license while I finish my plane so things are working out great.

The Deed is Done!

What Fearless is referring to is the fact that I bought a flying RV-9A back in 2009 and then crashed it going into Oshkosh in 2014. The plane was a total loss and I had to have multiple foot surgeries over the next two years. I am all healed up now, although with fused ankles. I can move my feet enough to operate toe brakes. I got my medical and pilot certificate back this summer and am ready to fly again. Now that I am retired, I hope to have time to build another -9A. So I bought a project not too far from home and will dive in. Fortunately, I have access to a C172 to fly while I build. You all will be seeing me posting a lot on this forum as I get into the project. Thanks to all for the advice on the wings so far. FYI, Van's tells me I would need to send the match-drilled spar center section back to them to be built into a QB fuselage if I go that way. Or build a SB fuse...

Back