What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone have a set of Buller dies for longeron bend?

kovacjd

Sponsor
It's that time in my fuselage build to bend the longerons.

Would like to buy or borrow a set of dies. Let me know if you are interested in selling yours.

I bent mine my clamping the two longerons together along what would become the top horizontal legs, and putting the clamped legs in a vise opened just enough for a loose fit, and just using body weight and moving them through the vise until the desired curve is achieved. No hammers, no unsightly die marks, no off-axis twist, and the long curves come out identical on both sides. This is the "George Orndorff" method described in his videos. Not all of his building methods worked for me but this one worked like a charm.

For details: http://mykitlog.com/users/display_l...project=2052&category=7420&log=186428&row=177

Thanks Gents - I'm not an active Post-er on VAF...but I sure do appreciate you taking the time to offer your experiences. I wasn't successful getting ahold of redbaron, so I'm gonna get after it this weekend with the Orndorff method (might try out the $0.30 method too).

Back