What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank install

Varga to Vans

I'm New Here
Building RV-8A. In section 7 of the build instructions the paragraph on "Installing Leading Edge" says to install the fuel tank with half the Z-bracket bolts and every other screw. I have not found in the instructions when the remaining bolts and screws are installed. Is it required or likely that the tanks will have to be removed from the spar during later portions of the build? Why not install all the Z-bracket bolts while the bottom skin is off?

Tank install

I did. So far it hasn't been an issue. Wings have been mated and removed. You do need them I place to fit the root fairing. My bird is at Finishing Kit stage so take my advise for the $.02 it's worth.

I have done the same as Larry. Getting ready to haul the wings to the airport and will have to add the rest of the screws that I left out. I put all the bolts in during initial install.

US, too.

We made-up the wing and tanks as a unit and fitted everything with all the bolts in place. Have not had to take them back off anytime after that. So far no leaks, so all is good as we used a good amount of Proseal in putting them together. It is your call and I don't remember anything in the instructions saying to leave the bolts out, but our 8 was all jigged and not quick build.
Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Before bottom skin install

before I installed the bottom skin, I re torqued the fuel tank attach bolts, and torque stripped them all with the orange colored stuff. That way the inspector could look in the inspection holes and see the torque strip.

Back