What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

Pretty Boy Panels

You guys and your pretty-boy panels need to quit wiring and start flying! How much synthetic vision, hi-way in the sky, FLIR camera stuff do you need to get to Eau Claire on a clear Saturday morning!!!

OK, yep, I'm just jealous. My wife said no when I asked for one........

The G900 still can't send email from 10,000 feet - so there!

OK, yep, I'm just jealous. My wife said no when I asked for one........

Can I just sit your plane and look at it?........

WOOOOWWWW.....

....but with all that fancy stuff (no doubt needed for serious VFR and KISS...;)), you have no room for the mapbox... so where are you going to put your inflight snack??
Oh, that's right, you're only going to use the plane for getting to where the pancakes are, so you don't need inflight snacks for those looong flights... :D

Seriously; what a GREAT PANEL!! I'm jealous... Mine looks like a dump now.... :eek:

Last edited:
since i last posted quite a while ago,
here's a lit up version of the panel :)
almost the same level of integration as the g900x (nice job by the way, peter :) but at a lower cost and with more custom/self-fun-developed stuff ;-)

p1010895.jpg

and with the center console in sight

p1010893.jpg

rgds bernie

p.s. mission is "personal airliner", we know, it's way overkill for vfr... but having fun at it...

since i last posted quite a while ago,
here's a lit up version of the panel :)
almost the same level of integration as the g900x (nice job by the way, peter :) but at a lower cost and with more custom/self-fun-developed stuff ;-)

rgds bernie

p.s. mission is "personal airliner", we know, it's way overkill for vfr... but having fun at it...

Wow...really nice work.

And your console is almost exactly what I've been sketching...low profile, but with a quadrant. Going to have to go spend a few hours reading your site now... :) (Like the low profile but well integrated PC type system as well...)

What are the details on the box on the top? (EDIT: Found it. Nice. :))

Last edited:
VERY NICE BERNIE!!! I love the Vertical Power system and will be anxious to here about all the automation you're able to have because of it.

By the way, what is the keyboard under the map screen for?!?

Awesome panel!!!

- Peter

hi guys,

as you noticed there are a few non-standards in the panel ;-)

the vp200 is obviously "off the shelf" and a even for our mission a bit of overkill, however i would go that route again, maybe evaluating their new stuff as well which wasn't available at the time.

then there's the "mappc" and the "afcu". both are our own developments.
the mappc installation consists of several parts.
mainly the display unit (with two push/pull rotaries and 4 pushbuttons, an sd card reader and a 640x480 lcd screen. all mounted in a case also housing the required lcd hardware, a powerless usb hub for the various subcomponents and a usb joystick interface board to read the pushbuttons and rotaries. it's the unit just to the right of the left-side efis).
the keyboard below is a simple "minikey" usb keyboard originally intended for a playstation controller, it allows to enter standard alpha-numeric inputs plus a few function keys as a large keyboard would (figure direct to waypoint x in the nav software or selecting artist y in the music database)
also part of the installation is a tiny touchpad (ergonomictouchpad.com) which sits in the center console below the panel just above the fuel selector, lets you rest the palm on the fuel selector while operating it.
and the main cpu is an advantech ark-3384 embedded 1.4ghz mobile celeron with a 16gb mtron solid state disk (no hd in that environment!). powered off a stabilized 12v power supply intended for car computing with remote power on/shutdown feature. both are mounted above the left pilots feet between the firewall and the subpanel.
software is a stripped down windows xp as the os (boots in 15s off the ssd!), pocketfms for the navigation / flight plan output, xbmc (xbmc.org) for the media center and the interface for the buttons through the joystick in is my own design using vb.net and the slimdx directinput library.

the afcu is mirroring the interface that airbus uses to the flight director / autopilot. pushing is automatic (nav mode etc...) pulling means manual select. working with rob hickman on the serial interface, he promised to implement that sometime in the next year. so it's not working fully integrated yet. also, most of the actual logic is in the efis software itself, the main function is to overcome the deficiency of having only one rotary button per efis screen. there will be a few logic functions like "present heading" when switching from nav to hdg mode and such.
the unit runs independently of the other (mappc) stuff, architecture is avr based and has its own firmware therefore.
"buttons" are
- rotary for QNH with toggle from QNH to STD and vice versa by pushing
- one button to cycle through the nav src inputs
- rotary for CRS command on the hsi with a pushbutton function.
- timer button for start, stop, reset all in one
- ap/fd button to turn the flight director on or off
- hdg rotary with push for nav mode and pull for hdg select mode
the display segments are used to indicate what mode is active, if it shows a number it's selected hdg, if it shows --- it means the "computer" has control.
- dual concentric altitude rotary with pushbutton. selects the thousands and 100s or 50s, we'll see what makes better sense.
- vertical speed rotary with push/pull function
- lat arm button to "arm" the approach mode, use hdg to intercept a course line etc...
- vnav arm button to arm in the vertical sense, e.g. vertical speed select but ready to intercept an ils glide

rgds,
bernie

Last edited:
Let there be light!

Today was out first system power up with the panel in the plane. ...of the HUNDREDS of wires that we pined and put in to plugs we found only ONE pin that was one hole off. We fixed that in minutes and we were all set to go! The Garmin system is truly amazing when it comes to the wiring maps and the diagnostics!

Below is a shot of Tom Berge and I looking at all the pretty lights! Tom is the new KING of Garmin wiring!

...and of course BIG KUDOS to Christer and Stein from SteinAir!!! They were AWESOME through the entire process and continue to be an invaluable resource as we near the light at the end of the tunnel!

atkt94.jpg

25ztqqd.jpg

This was a REALLY FUN DAY!!! :cool:

- Peter

By the way, when you buy a panel like this from Stein he MIGHT throw in one of the cool SteinAir shirts you see me sporting above!

- Peter

Hello,

This is a photo of my friend
Hans Hofer Haber
statieoniert this aircraft is in Austria, Weiz (ICAO: LOGW)

This is an RV-9a
Motorized with a 160hp Lycoming O-320

Haberhofer2_lg.jpg

the garmin is nice but you're dead if you lose your electrical system in IMC

If your referring to Peter's panel above... Don't you think those are pretty harsh words for your assumption? I would bet that someone investing that much $ into a panel would include some redundancy (ie. battery backups). :rolleyes:

Daniel,

You hit it right on the head!!! That G900 system is 75K!!! I bet you they have done there homework. I would kill to have that in my 7!!!!

Mike

Peter,
Ya need to quit standing around taking pictures and get to work, flashy lights wont make it fly! LOL just kiddin man! Panel looks great!

the garmin is nice but you're dead if you lose your electrical system in IMC

Brian -

Glad to see you're moving along on your project. Post some pics of your trim tab when you get it finished up!

Thanks for your concern about me when I'm flying in IMC! To put your mind at ease I have battery back up's along with dual P-Mags as well as a 3rd GPS unit on board that operates completely indepenant of any of the ship's power. I figure if all that fails while I happen to be flying IFR God wants me for something pretty bad so I better just go! ;)

- Peter

PS - Daniel and Mike are right about the homework that goes in to an electrical system and panel to be used in IFR. Planning is an important and fun part of the process!

Brian -

Glad to see you're moving along on your project. Post some pics of your trim tab when you get it finished up!

Thanks for your concern about me when I'm flying in IMC! To put your mind at ease I have battery back up's along with dual P-Mags as well as a 3rd GPS unit on board that operates completely indepenant of any of the ship's power. I figure if all that fails while I happen to be flying IFR God wants me for something pretty bad so I better just go! ;)

- Peter

PS - Daniel and Mike are right about the homework that goes in to an electrical system and panel to be used in IFR. Planning is an important and fun part of the process!

Sorry if my comment was taken as an attack of sorts, just thinking outloud-

Does lightning/static discharge not concern you?? You mention a independent GPS but getting lost wouldn't be my concern, not knowing your airspeed, attitude/bank would be my main concern if I lost electrical. Call me pessimistic, but I'm still thinking about the panel layout which is probably very pre-mature for me at this point, I can't seem to give up a vacuum system or traditional gauges completely. Perhaps my instructor scared the begeezus out of me with all the what-if's during training :D your panel looks great btw!

Last edited:
Brian -

That's what good instrument instructors do! :cool: He/She is making sure you know what can happen the day you take your first solo flight in to actual IMC!

The truth is that in building, all of us can drive ourselves crazy thinking about the endless number of "what-if's" and gearing up accordingly. Before you know it you have more internal redundancy than a King Air and 90% of your flying (maybe 95% of your flying) is Day VFR to get pancakes on Saturday morning or doing a quick little X-country.

In my view, the RV-7 is a sport airplane that can punch up through a layer of clouds or fly some light IFR from time to time. My panel and systems are overkill for that but having a sophisticated panel was part of the fun for me. Call it entertainment if you want to and it won't hurt my feelings because that's ultimately what it is.

Enjoy your instrument training! Departing IFR, flying VFR on top for an hour and coming down through the clouds to see the runway right where you expect it to be is one of flying's most rewarding experiences!

- Peter

Sorry if my comment was taken as an attack of sorts, just thinking outloud-

Does lightning/static discharge not concern you?? You mention a independent GPS but getting lost wouldn't be my concern, not knowing your airspeed, attitude/bank would be my main concern if I lost electrical. Call me pessimistic, but I'm still thinking about the panel layout which is probably very pre-mature for me at this point, I can't seem to give up a vacuum system or traditional gauges completely. Perhaps my instructor scared the begeezus out of me with all the what-if's during training :D your panel looks great btw!

This thought process can go both ways... A properly built electrical system should have no problem with lightning / static discharge. Airliners do it all the time... just use the same standard. As far as knowing pitch, bank, airspeed, etc... Even the hand held garmin gps' have a simulated 6 pack that is alot easier to follow and read than trying to do it all on a partial panel due to the loss of a vacuum pump!! Look at it like that... your flying in IMC, lose a vacuum pump, and then ur partial panel! Fly in IMC behind a proper glass setup, and you atleast have a backup that is capable of displaying everything as if nothing had happened.

Either way, both are a proven technology, both have pros and cons, and both are expensive!!! :D

This thought process can go both ways... A properly built electrical system should have no problem with lightning / static discharge. Airliners do it all the time... just use the same standard. As far as knowing pitch, bank, airspeed, etc... Even the hand held garmin gps' have a simulated 6 pack that is alot easier to follow and read than trying to do it all on a partial panel due to the loss of a vacuum pump!! Look at it like that... your flying in IMC, lose a vacuum pump, and then ur partial panel! Fly in IMC behind a proper glass setup, and you atleast have a backup that is capable of displaying everything as if nothing had happened.

Either way, both are a proven technology, both have pros and cons, and both are expensive!!! :D

yeah i think glass (done properly) is out of my price range, so maybe i'm mentally justifying the steam gauge setup, who knows

Glass done properly (for RV IMC) does not have to cost an arm and leg and your first born...It can easily be done for less than steam.

You can buy two full EFIS units each with their own battery backup systems for less than $3200....

My el-cheapo glass panel has these equivalent steam gauges (some not available in steam):

Attitude Indicator
Airspeed Indicator
Altimeter
Vertical Speed Indicator
Gyro-Stabilized Magnetic Compass
Turn/Coordinator/Ball
Turn Rate
Clock/Timer
G-Meter
Voltmeter
Horizontal Situation Indicator / GS Indicator with the ability to be driven by multiple NAV sources
AOA indicator
Built in Altitude Encoder
Density Altitude Calculator
TAS Calculator
Instant Wind Speed and Direction Display
Built in Dual Axis Autopilot
Full Engine Instrumentation
Full Fuel Computer
Full Engine Alarm Capabilities
Data Logging of Flight and Engine Data
Trim and Flap Position Displays
And more I have not discovered yet...

yeah i think glass (done properly) is out of my price range, so maybe i'm mentally justifying the steam gauge setup, who knows

Last edited:
Brian's 100% correct...

...in his assessment of glass price vs steam.

Last week I had the privilege of flying a really nice -10 while giving some Transition training and the two Dynons amazed the owner. He'd never used the split HSI screen and couldn't believe all the info on the HSI screen alone.

Shooting RNAV/LPV approaches with the ability to see your winds aloft and the corresponding wind correction angle on one screen makes it sooo much easier.

gimp2x (Brian), come down to Louisville, Ga. (2J3) sometime and we'll go shoot some approaches at Augusta. I have a Dynon 100 and 120.

Best,

Glass done properly (for RV IMC) does not have to cost an arm and leg and your first born...It can easily be done for less than steam.

You can buy two full EFIS units each with their own battery backup systems for less than $3200....

I was reading the dynon specs just yesterday, the functionality you get for the cost of admission is just unbelievable to me. I can't wait to fly one some time.

I hate it when yall fight.. my grades are slipping and im starting to hang out on the wrong side of the runway!

Last edited:
RV7 flown two days ago after 3 year build.
33nkcr9.jpg
[/IMG]

CONGRATS PETER!!!

You've created a beautiful panel with PERFECT symmetry! It must be just a JOY to fly!!! What is your phase one like? Are you trouble shooting issues, collecting data or just having a good time?

- Peter

It looks like it's set up for flying from the right seat..

...based on the throttle/prop locations and the bulk of the switches. Are you using toggle switches for the mags?

Beautiful layout, BTW....congrats,

Best,

Peter,

Congrats and well done on the panel (no, we didn't built it, Peter did all the work himself). It looks very, very nice and well thought out. The controls, spacing, symmetry, and overall construction are top notch!

Cheers,
Stein

To answer some questions, yes it is flown from the right seat (taught that way, and it seems more natural). One Mag, One EI, with toggle switches. Aerosport AEIO360M1). The only issue I have is the A/P. The screen is faulty and I will have to send it to Trutrak to fix. Lucas has been very helpful, it is just a shame to have to pull an instrument out after finally getting airborne. Instruments and avionics and everything related have come from Steinair. Their help has been invaluable, and I have had no issues with any of the setup, to date. The data logging on the AFS is excellent and it is easy to analyse data post test flight, rather than trying to write stuff down. It is winter downunder, so good test flying days are a bit rare at the moment, but I will go whenever a fine day presents.

Congrats

Well done Pete.

No doubt your feeling pretty happy....?!

I'm not far behind you....hoping to do my AP inspection in the next couple of weeks (currently organising paperwork etc).

where did you do your test flight?

Cheers,

Jon

panel is complete

i found great benefit in looking at panel photos during my planning and appreciate all of the contributors to this thread and encourage everyone to post a shot or two.

final panel shot.

RV-7 GRT Panel

I have an RV-7 tipup with an O-360 and CS prop. This is my new panel. I didn't build it, but I did design it for serious IFR flight.

This is what I started with:
originalpanel.jpg

This what I had planned on paper:
panel8dec2.jpg

This is what it looks like today:
grtpanel.jpg

The system includes dual AHRS, EIS, external GRT GPS, Garmin 430W & SL40 Comm, XM WX, TruTrak Digiflight II VSGV with Auto-Trim and Zaon XRX traffic. I also had an "N" number change. Now the real learning curve kicks in.

Mike
San Antonio, TX

That's a nice looking panel Mike, and pretty close to plan.
That red split switch on the LH side interests me, I have been looking for something like that. Can you tell me where you got it and its part number?:)

That's a nice looking panel Mike, and pretty close to plan.
That red split switch on the LH side interests me, I have been looking for something like that. Can you tell me where you got it and its part number?:)

That red split switch was in the original panel when I purchased the airplane. I just carried it forward into the new panel. I'm sorry, but I have no idea where the original builder might have gotten it.
Mike

Here's my panel that I have been working on for let's say a long time. Steinair's guys did the harnesses for me and helped me bring everything on-line. It went together well. I back-lite the lettering. This is an idea that I got from Bret Smith and Mike Behnke, thanks guys. Clean and good symmetry.

Dual GRT HX, HS; Dual AHRS; Dual magnetometers; TrueTrak Digiflight II, VSGV; TruTrak ADI w/GPS; PMA8000B Audio; GNS430W; GTX330; SL-40 Comm; GRT EIS4000

IMG_0488.jpg

DSC00375.jpg

N821RV's panel

Here's a shot of my panel. This has definitely been a challenge, but I'm pretty happy with it now. TT Efis, Dynon EMS-120. Stienair vents. I used the decal pro method for the lettering, like others have said, a bit of a learning curve but after a bit I could zip out what I wanted in about 10 min from typing the decal on the comp to application. My biggest time consuming problem with it was learning to use MS Word to get exactly what I wanted!

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

Thank you, I just looked at them & they look pretty good. I like civvy looking grips for RV's. Some of the Mil grips are just out of proportion looking.

First Look at my Panel

This is the first photo of my panel (and my first time to try and post pictures..bear with me)...The basic design was "stolen with permission" from Paul Story at Steinair...and thanks to Stein's staff for great support.!!!
Dual Advanced, UMA backups, GMA240, SL-30, GTX-327, Klixon Beakers, Davtron Timer, SIRS Pegasus Compass...Not labeled yet!

http://i26.tinypic.com/2e1hcuq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's My Panel

Here's a picture of my panel in progress. The panel is 1.25" taller than the stock panel, waterjet cut, powdercoated in VAN's light gray, labelled using DecalPro FX, with a matte clearcoat applied over that. All components are installed with the exception of the ELT control head, as I'm waiting for ACK E-04's certification.

Now all I have to do is wire it all up...

IMG_4823.jpg

Last edited:
RV-9A Panel

All holes cut. I still have to buy Skyviews and ELT. Wife is pilot so 2 pilot operation was considered during panel layout. Garmin 196 to be replaced with 496 before flight. Now to take it all back apart for paint and riveting.

Alan Jackson
Hartselle, AL

Panel3.jpg

Back