What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Too tight main axel/bering fit .. hints?

wjb

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

I'm attempting to put the wheels on the gear, but find that both main axels are bit oversized and the bearings will not slide on (even with some light encouragement)

Anyone else see this? A leftover from heat treatment of the legs?

Anyone have any magic tricks, or is it grind to fit? No way the bearing's gonna stretch.

Axle fix

Get a roll of plumbers sandpaper ( actually a long roll of emery cloth) used to clean copper fittings. Big box stores sell it in about a 2” x 2” box. It is fabric backed and will help you dress the axle so the goodies will slide on the axle. It is about 2” wide by ten feet

Last edited:
Get some emery cloth or a strip of 600 grit sandpaper. Wrap the paper halfway around the axle and saw it back and forth to slowly sand down the OD. Reposition the paper frequently to keep the axle round..

Absolutely and I will add that if you remove the bearing from a wheel and sand the axle until the bearing slides on and off, easier than using the wheel?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! Looks like I'll open a cold can of elbow grease at get to it....

Get a roll of plumbers sandpaper ( actually a long roll of emery cloth) used to clean copper fittings. Big box stores sell it in about a 2? x 2? box. It is fabric backed and will help you dress the axle so the goodies will slide on the axle. It is about 2? wide by ten feet

I'm told the same process is required on the landing gear legs as the enter the sockets and I had to do same on the tailwheel spring too

Enlarging gear sockets interior

Use the same technique. Some brake cylinder hones with some oil on them allow you to slightly enlarge the gear sockets. You can also use stones in a power drill, or some of the emery paper in a slot cut in the end of a dowel

Post op report: The plumber's pipe dressing tape/sandpaper did the trick ... it took about 15 mins a side to remove enough material for the bearings to slide on.

Now, the baby has new shoes! Thanks for the help.

i-xGWxxSQ-M.jpg

Back