What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wanted - your experience - electrical load

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I know exactly what Van's says to/not to do reference overloading the power generated by the 912ULS alternator. And have read a few threads by RV-12 builders who have installed a second landing light / EFIS, etc.

And +++

I would like to hear from builders who have installed a second EFIS and/or a second landing light into their RV-12. I understand that my aircraft is ELSA and that a second landing light is discouraged by Van's and can't be installed until FAA sign off. Just like to hear from those who have had success or failure with a second landing light and/or EFIS.

If you have done these installs and found that they really cause problems to the electrical system of the 12 or not, I appreciate your reply.

E. D. ---

I can't give you any info regarding a second EFIS because I installed inexpensive backup steam gauges ... but I did add a second landing light to have wig-wag to take advantage of that feature the AeroLED's light offers. I have the 912ULS and I too was concerned about the extra electrical load .... so I added a separate on/off switch for the left landing light's "steady on". When wig-wag is in use, there is no additional current draw than one would have with the right landing light steady on ... because one light is always off.

I don't fly at night but wanted the capability to turn on the left light on if I wanted to on short final so just added a panel switch to be able to do that.

I should think if you were to run the wires but not connect them until after your fly off, you could add the left light and a panel switch as I did so you don't have to worry on over taxing the electrical system. Below is a link covering the instillation of the switch.
http://www.dogaviation.com/2016/03/fuel-pump-left-landing-light-switches.html

Happy building,

I know exactly what Van's says to/not to do reference overloading the power generated by the 912ULS alternator. And have read a few threads by RV-12 builders who have installed a second landing light / EFIS, etc.

And +++

I would like to hear from builders who have installed a second EFIS and/or a second landing light into their RV-12. I understand that my aircraft is ELSA and that a second landing light is discouraged by Van's and can't be installed until FAA sign off. Just like to hear from those who have had success or failure with a second landing light and/or EFIS.

If you have done these installs and found that they really cause problems to the electrical system of the 12 or not, I appreciate your reply.

I have the dual Garmin G3X package and full lighting set up..No problems. Also have aux fuel tank w/transfer pump; and have not triggered any alarms when used (landing light not in use when transfer pump was running)..FYI

I have the D180 &D100 combo. I added a second comm, ADS-B In/Out and a VOR/ILS 3LMB in addition to the standard XPDR and comm. With everything on I draw about 8.5 amps. Never have had any issues.

And +++

E.D., Van's specifically approves the installation of the second EFIS in Notification 14-10-15 provided that both screens are serial number 6000 or greater. The earlier screens drew more power than the later ones.

I have the dual screens and have had no problems. There is enough electrical capacity to keep the battery charged with everything on.

As for the dual landing lights for ULS airplanes, I don't see where Van's discourages it. It seems pretty black and white in the documentation:
"For RV-12iS aircraft equipped with the Rotax 912 iS Sport engine, we now have the option for a second landing light with wig wag synchronization. This kit, which is priced at $345, is available for retrofit or installation during initial construction. Please specify part number ?RV-12 IS LEFT LL KIT? when ordering. Note that this kit is not available for 912 ULS-powered RV-12 airplanes, as the ULS engine?s integral alternator does not supply sufficient electrical capacity to drive the multiple landing lights." My emphasis.

I know that there are dual landing lights installed but who are you going to trust on this?

Power

Seems like way back part of figuring things out for an aircraft was before adding any thing more to the system one figured out total draw by adding up all the items that required power. Isnt that the way its done these days? And then figure out how much the alternator ( generator back then) put out.
Would think that would be easier than poke and hope method. Just my thoughts.

Back