What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Instructions - RV-8 Wheel Pants

aplunkett

I'm New Here
I just purchased a set of RV8, flat-bar style, main gear wheel pants from Vans for my Glasair. I need a set of instructions to get a general idea of how to install them.

Thanks,

Andy Plunkett
andy [at] glasairproject.com

Hi Andy,
Best I know, the late model 6, 7, and 8 wheelpants are all the same glass. Despite the differences in gear legs (round vs flat for the tailwheel 8), the mounting methods are similar. The gear leg difference just governs where you cut the hole for the leg and how you fair the hole.

On an 8, the inboard side has a bent flat sheet bracket bolted to the leg. The bolts are shared with the bolt-on axle. The fore and aft ends of the bracket have flats with nutplates for mounting screws through the glass. The outboard side is, in concept, an axle extension. The RV standard is a nice machined aluminum axle nut with an internal nutplate in the end. A bent sheet bracket is attached to the inside of the glass (rivets or nutplates), the bracket bolts to the axle nut with an AN4.

Make a trip over to the Vans website, look for the builder links page, and you can probably find dozens of websites with pictures.

Back