What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle/mixture cables

findane

The standard Van's mixture and throttle cables for 9A aren't long enough. Aircraft Spruce (ACS Cables) has a lead time for 4 to 6 weeks for custom cables. Does anyone know where else to get custom length cables made.

Last edited:
Vans makes several lengths

I installed an io-320. Standard -9 cables were too short. I measured and found vans had cables that worked. If I recall they make have been cable used on RV10 installs.

How much too short? If under 6", take a look at these.

ACS has extensions for the inner rod, used them when I changed from updraft to ram air for my FI servo. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/extcontrols.php?clickkey=13278

10376-2.jpg

It really depends on which sump you have on your engine.

Some place the carb forward, some in the middle, and some towards the aft end.

Cables

I have a Superior IO320 with Airflow Performance fuel controller on a horizontal cold sump. I had to fabricate a custom bracket and needed to add 9 inches. The extension are too short.

After speaking with ACS cable and Aircraft Spruce, Van's cables have a 2.25" or 2.5" stroke which are non standard.

You should have just gone with a center mounted throttle quadrant from DJM, like I did. Much easier to install and fit a cable to.

And so much nicer to fly with than a Cessna style throttle.

Back