What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-200 Question

johngoodman

Well Known Member
I'm trying to figure out how to boot up my disconnected VP-200, without any devices on it. I need to see the device pages, so I can figure out which pins are assigned to what. No, I don't have the spreadsheet, and I never wrote anything down.
What would it take to power up the CU & DU by themselves? Would the SP need to be in the loop? 12V power on the lug. Do I need the "keep alive" wire? How about grounds?

John

John, from when I was building my panel years ago, I believe the VP-200 components (CU, DP, and SP) all have to be connected for the system to power up with 12v applied to the power lug. In addition all of the grounds on the CU have to be grounded as well. Here's a list of the grounds:

J4 pin 6
J5 pin 7
J6 pin 8

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Backup

Did you back up the system settings to the provided USB drive? Might be able to read, or recover, them from there.

My VP-200 is gone. Good riddance. Major panel upgrade in process. Back to switches and breakers.

Gordon

I believe you also need to provide power to J4 Pin 1 - recommended with an inline 20 amp slow burn fuse.

With respect to the DU and SP, connect them with the provided cables if you have access to them.

Thanks for all the replys - looking forward to vluvelin's e-mail. I suspected that I need the three grounds. I'll have to get the wires to ground. Also, I pretty much figured that the "keep alive" had to be powered, as well. Again, thanks!
John

You can still download the load planning spreadsheet that includes the power and ground pins:

http://verticalpower.com/discontinued/

Might be useful to have, then you can use it to document what devices are on what pins too.

I believe the Ebus power is needed for it to turn itself on (and power up the battery relay).

vaguely remember

I'm trying to figure out how to boot up my disconnected VP-200, without any devices on it. I need to see the device pages, so I can figure out which pins are assigned to what. No, I don't have the spreadsheet, and I never wrote anything down.
What would it take to power up the CU & DU by themselves? Would the SP need to be in the loop? 12V power on the lug. Do I need the "keep alive" wire? How about grounds?

John

I vaguely remember that you MUST have at least one load pin connected, at least that was true on my VP-100. Used one of the most probable pins, and a ground. Since some of the circuits default to 'always on' (?) that might be a factor, too. Those manuals for "discontinued" products are still available.
http://www.verticalpower.com/discontinued

May be a clue in the example load planning worksheet also.

VP-200 shut down issue!

My VP-200 is gone. Good riddance. Major panel upgrade in process. Back to switches and breakers.

Gordon

Gordon,
After your incident a couple of years ago where the VP-200 shut down in IMC conditions did you ever figure out what caused it? At the time you indicated that you were going to add some additional ground wires and that it then worked fine for 30 hours or so. Did that work and what happen after that?

I have now experienced two VP-200 shut downs, both in IMC conditions. The first one was about a year ago at 900 hrs. and the second one was two weeks ago at about 1020 hrs. In both cases the VP-200 re-booted fine and worked perfectly in every way after that.

In both cases my flight conditions were similar to yours. IMC with OAT below freezing. I am beginning to think that this issue may be caused by Static Discharge. Did you explore this as a possibility or have any thoughts on the matter.

The thought of having to replace the VP-200 is not a pleasant one. Obviously if this problem persists I will have no choice but before I do that I will add additional ground wires to the 3 major components of this system and tie them to a common ground plus I will add static wick to the airplane. I would love for Marc Ausman to chime in here with his take on this issue.

The VP-200 is a fantastic system and except for the issues described above has worked flawlessly for 7.5 years and 1020hrs. Unfortunately it is no longer manufactured or supported by anyone (to my knowledge) so for the many of us who still use this great system we will have little choice but to look elsewhere.

Ivan.

Tried to e-mail you Ivan...see text below

Hi Ivan and Bill. Interestingly, I received e-mails from both of you yesterday!

I never did conclusively find the source of my VP200 shutdowns. I had 3 in total, all in IMC. The first one was the most exciting, the others weren't too bad because I knew what had happened and what to do. Still unnerving. It got to a point that I was afraid to fly the ES in IMC.

I bit the bullet and replaced the VP200 with old fashioned breakers and switches. While I was at it, I went to dual G3X's. Big project and I just got done. Hope to fly it this week if we get some half decent weather. Will be kinda like Phase 1 again.

The extra grounding wires did not make a difference. I, as a lay person, am convinced it is a static issue. BTW, the old VP equipment sold quickly. Those that are keeping the VP want a source of replacement parts. I sold mine to a Lancair guy that had a single CU like I did, and he was making his a dual CU system.

I had no interaction issues with the alternators... both on B&C regulators.

Good luck.

Back