What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA allow professionals to build E-ABs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brdog42

Well Known Member
At AOPA?s fly-in at Carbondale, IL Saturday, the APOA President mentioned another $500 ADS-B out rebate is coming. And the possibility of the FAA to allow professional builders to build Experimental Amateur Built Aircraft. If this was already posted, please ignore.

Tim

From the AOPA site:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...81.686568647.1538796538-1684014966.1462139112

?I talked with the FAA administrator yesterday. He was comfortable with me telling you there?s going to be another $500 rebate? for installing Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast Out, Baker said. The FAA has mandated ADS-B for flights after Jan. 1, 2020, generally in airspace where a Mode C transponder is required today. ?Now is the time to get it done,? he noted, adding that there will be more information next week on the AOPA and FAA websites.
Baker invited Jack Pelton, EAA chairman and CEO, onto the stage. On Jan. 19, 2019, Pelton said, the FAA will publish a notice of proposed rulemaking that seeks to raise the weight limit for light sport aircraft from the current 1,320 pounds to 3,600 pounds. ?That will allow you to fly in a 172, have four seats in the airplane, and fly 150 mph,? said Pelton, who also anticipates a rule change that would allow professional builders to construct experimental amateur-built aircraft.

As I mentioned in another thread, a lot is being discussed with the FAA on the next rewrite of the rules pertianing to Amateur-Built aircraft. But it is really all discussions at this time. The good news is that the discussions are moving along.

As for AB aircraft being built by "professionals" that is one of the topics. But the key word is professionals, and that has yet to be defined.

I believe some really good, even great, changes will come out of the next rewrite of the rules. It is our current, constantly-improving safety record that is allowing the potential expansion of privileges. I can't stress enough how important it is that we all stay focused on the safety aspect in everything we do. That is the biggest area we can contribute towards at this time.

Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back