What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine/prop fW-forward for an RV14?

The governor comes with the FWF kit and not the engine. You can get 1 E-Mag and 1 magneto or 2 magnetos, or 1 E-Mag and nothing. They won't sell or set up for a dual E-Mag setup but will remove the test run magneto then install the shorter studs for the second E-Mag if you are sure you want to go that way and credit I think $500 for not having the magneto installed. Not sure about the factory alum Hartzell prop, I went a different way.

My thoughts:
- 74" Hartzell blended airfoil from Van's (and the prop/engine discount).
- Get the engine deal for one pMag and nothing on the other side (but set up for you to install the second pMag). You get $500 credit for not getting the one mag.
- I don't buy the Van's firewall forward kit as I prefer different components, such as the PCU-5000X prop governor, the Airflow Systems 2006X oil cooler, B&C alternator, B&C vacuum pad back up alternator, etc.

Carl

Don't want to steal Magnus' thread but I ordered the Whirlwind 74RV HRT after Sun N Fun and should have it in a couple of weeks. I wanted to go with composite and didn't want to pay $13K for the Hartzell. Nothing against the aluminum Hartzell, I just wanted to embrace the "experimental" thing a little more. I flew behind composite props for 6000+ hours on turbo prop planes 20 years ago and am pretty comfortable they are plenty rugged for us.

Go with the Vettermans exhaust and have Vans keep theirs, even money.
Why? Bigger, thicker, better.
Also recommend A Specialties hydro and fuel lines.
Thicker, tighter, better.

Back