What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Friendly GA airports in the Chicago area?

Don Patrick

Well Known Member
Good day,

I will be ferrying and aircraft from CFB Trenton to Fox River Wisconsin on Wed, Dec 6th and plan on stopping somewhere before the Chicago class B and staying the night. Anything within 40-50 miles of Chicago would be fine...im quite open.

Any suggestions on which airport to go to that is handy to a good hotel?

I havent flown the Chicago area before but will be flying under the Class B along the lakeshore.

Any pointers or hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don

Fox River

Don,
Are you referring to Fox River airport as in Champion Aircraft?

Hi Don,

I don't know about hotels, but I've always gotten very good service in Gary, Indiana. There are 2 FBO's, and the giant super one (B Coleman I think?) is what I used. Fuel price was competitive and they didn't snub their nose at my non bizjet qty fuel purchase.

Waukegan recently made AOPA's naughty FBO list, and I can confirm it deserves it.

DEM

For good airports in the Chicago area, GYY is good and Coleman Aviation treats everyone great. There isn't much traffic and if you are heading north, you can scoot up the lake afterwards to avoid the class B.

Lansing and Bult (south side) have the cheapest fuel at $3.98 but I don't know the hotel situation. They are both close to GYY so you could get cheap fuel and go to GYY.

If you just need a hotel, this works. If you're looking for something to do or get out, GYY isn't the best choice as it's industrial.

Further west, DKB and RPJ have cheap fuel too and probably hotels (motels) nearby. This would keep you west of class B.

Eric

Waukegan is where I'm based and yea... great airport but I wouldn't stop there as a transient. I would say Gary (GYY) if you want a convenient stopping point before the Class B. Flying the lake shore up is great, you shouldn't have any issues. VFR flyway is recommended at or below 2000' until Navy pier due to traffic at MDW.

Thanks

Much thanks everyone...had to put down in Kalamazoo today....the winds and turbulence was outrageous and it inly took me 7 hrs to get here.

Great FBO at Duncan Aviation...treat you grea

Cheers

Don

Fox River

Don,
Several spots in SE WI once you get over here. C59 is at a resort (Lake Lawn Lodge), also KBUU is just south of Fox River and has the lowest priced fuel in the area.

B. Coleman is good but the hotel situation in that area is pretty bleak. Valparaiso (VPZ) is home to a few RVers and is an amazing airport not far from Chicago. Many Hotel's and restaurants are close by.

Chicago

Meigs Field

What?

You say its a park?

But it is on my Computer!

Next you are going to tell me they are closing Santa Monica!

VPZ and DKB are favorite stops of ours on the way to/from OSH. Highly recommend both.

B. Coleman is good but the hotel situation in that area is pretty bleak. Valparaiso (VPZ) is home to a few RVers and is an amazing airport not far from Chicago. Many Hotel's and restaurants are close by.

Another vote for DKB. It's my usual last stop and first stop for fuel coming and going to OSH every year. Hotels and restaurants are a short drive from the airport, if needed.

Back