What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gas cap and spar taper pins

grover

Well Known Member
anyone have part number/vendor for the old fuselage tank's gas cap? and spar taper pin p/n? AN386? van's indicated they have no data for either part.

anyone have part number/vendor for the old fuselage tank's gas cap? and spar taper pin p/n? AN386? van's indicated they have no data for either part.
I built an RV-3a in the early 90s, but It was a partially built kit, originally sold in the late 70s. I still have the original instruction book (20 pages), the original plans and receipts from various items we bought from Vans and other places such as Aircraft Spruce. Our plane used the taper pins for the wing joiner. The instruction book calls for AN386-3-15 taper pins. It also calls for using a B&B No. 3 Taper Reamer for reaming the holes in the spar and splice plates. I have a receipt for the No. 3 Taper Reamer ordered from Aircraft Spruce, and that worked well. I believe you can get these items from Aircraft Spruce. I also found a receipt for some AN975-4 Taper Pin washers. I don't remember if those were used on the wing or not but there are some special thick washers required on the threaded end of the taper pins before you can put on regular washers and nuts. The nuts were castellated and used cotter pins.
Regarding fuselage fuel tank cap. We ordered the welded aluminum tank from Vans at that time and the fuel cap came with it. It was made for Vans by a 3rd party. The fuel cap came from Usher Enterprises Inc., 9810 N.W. Gordon Rd., Cornelius, Oregoin 97113 Phone 503-647-0015, and was called a UD3 cap. There was an O-ring 2-012N0828-70 under a washer at the top under the latch and a Teflon washer (2 required) and another O-ring 2-325N)828-70 for the cap to tank seal. Ours is stlll in use with the original O-rings. There's also a nut at the bottom of the cap labeled MS21083-N6. Hope this info is of some help!

I just checked Drawing 32, the fuselage tank that's still in the RV-3B plans, and it does not show a cap for the tank. Looks like you might be on your own there, unless someone with a very old set of plans has more information.

And while the RV-3B uses straight bolts like Van's later airplanes, Aircraft Spruce has a good selection of AN386 bolts. Their web page shows the various sizes (it's clearer in the print edition), but you might have to go elsewhere for the larger sizes that you'll probably need. Perhaps Skygeek com.

Dave

Back