What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USB Power Receptacle Comm Interference

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I installed a USB power receptacle for my iPad. I'm beginning to wonder if it is causing comm radio interference. My question is... what are symptoms of USB power plug as related to comm? What type of interface would be noticeable?

Jim-

As you have apparently discovered ... not all USB charging ports are created equally. Some units generate way more electrical noise than others. I think the root of the problem is if a switching regulator is utilized in the design, it also needs to be accompanied with some filtering within the unit to reduce the electrical noise created by the switching regulator.

I too plan on adding a notepad and have purchased a USB power port at the phone store .... but have not tried it out in the airplane yet. Perhaps you could try asking some friends that have various USB power units in their cars to let you try them in your airplane.

Below is a VAF link talking about the noise issue along with links to units that work well. I know Stein Air has a unit that they say has reduced noise.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=134779&highlight=usb+charger

USB

I was talking with my avionics guy about this a few weeks ago. He said that usually the cheap ones are just that, cheap. That also goes for the plugs you can plug into a power outlet (cigarette lighter for those of us old enough to know what that is) that will accept a USB cord. He said most of the "quality" plugs that are not FAA/PMA are fine.

Disconnect it and see if the noise goes away, that will answer your question.

I have a cheap USB port in my plane and it didn't add any noise to the system.

Get a toroid and wrap the power/ground wires a few times through that, as close to the device as you can get them, and wire-tie it in place. That will knock down a lot of the noise, likely down to the acceptable level.

Been right here recently. The first usb charger was from west marine. Didn't make any noise unless it was actually charging but when a device was plugged into it, it was "broadcasting." Tried ferrite clamps several different places but no effect. Finally spent $20 and bought this unit from Spruce. It must be internally suppressed whereas the original wasn't because it's totally silent now and I've ditched the ferrites.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/usb-adapter.php?clickkey=8828

I got a cheapy from Amazon wired to main bus and works great. Mounted right by the radio stack and no issues. Also have a cheapy cigarette lighter plug only a foot away with a twin USB adapter plugged in. Power a iPad, Dual XGPS170 ADSB In, and a Hudly HUD. Never have had radio interference.
Just lucky, I guess.

Last edited:
Blue Sea

I've heard these have no noise, but I have not tested them yet while flying. I pulled it apart if you want to see the guts.

http://www.rv8.ch/blue-sea-usb/

img_4772-1024x768.jpg

Back