What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rosie & Tuppergal's Southern California to Minden - Lake Tahoe trip

Rosie

Well Known Member
Happy New Year to our VAF Family of Friends! Tuppergal and I are nearing our 14th year of flying our RV, and with the price of fuel still over $5/gallon, we find ourselves flying-to-visit (friends) more so than flying-to-eat. Either way, we are STILL flying!

It had been awhile since we’d been to the Minden – Lake Tahoe (KMEV) area to visit Andrew ‘Sharkbait’ Brandt, his Mom Henrietta (my 4th & 6th grade elementary teacher), Dad Charles and brother Matthew.

We departed the day after Christmas (Thursday) around 1500 for the ~2 hour flight up the Owens Valley. The skies were clear and the winds were calm (a rare event!). We first stopped at Tehachapi (KTSP) for $4.87/gallon fuel and saw a friend of ours who is based out of Mojave. Hint: He has flown around-the-world…twice...once non-stop!

Minden_2013_01.JPG

Here’s a view looking east of the windmills with Edwards AFB’s Roger’s Dry Lake in the distance:

Minden_2013_02.JPG

From there, it was direct towards Inyokern (KIYK)…

Minden_2013_03.JPG

Then slight dog-leg turn to fly up the Owens Valley:

Minden_2013_04.JPG

The key to flying up the Owens Valley is to keep the ‘red stuff’ on the left:

Minden_2013_05.JPG

Here’s the not-so-dry Owens dry lakebed:

Minden_2013_06.JPG

Here we are abeam Lone Pine Airport with Mt. Whitney somewhere up in them thar’ hills:

Minden_2013_07.JPG

One past Bishop (KBIH: about an hour from home), it’s another dog-leg turn northwest up the valley for one more hour’s flight to KMEV…

Minden_2013_08.JPG

…and still keeping the ‘red stuff on the left:

Minden_2013_09.JPG

Here’s Mono Lake up ahead:

Minden_2013_10.JPG

Last edited:
Southern California to Minden - Lake Tahoe

And the sun, setting over the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range:

Minden_2013_11.JPG

Sharkbait had been in Madera (San Joaquin Valley) all day and planned his arrival to coincide with mine. We both checked into KMEV about 12 miles out then met up after his turn from base-to-final (with me already on final) for an overhead approach. We couldn?t have planned that any better!

Minden_2013_12.JPG

Base to final:

Minden_2013_13.JPG

Charles was there to greet us on our arrival:

Minden_2013_14.JPG

We had a great visit along with a great meal then called it a night. On Friday, the girls went sightseeing while the boys stayed home and relaxed for most of the day. Here are a couple of pictures that Tuppergal took:

Minden_2013_15.JPG

Minden_2013_16.JPG

Late afternoon, I flew in Sharkbait?s RV-9A to nearby Farias Wheel to visit a Lockheed retiree-friend-RVer Dick Smith. Another great visit the back to Minden for dinner at a great Basque food restaurant.

On Saturday, we all visited in the morning then we departed a two-ship for an unexpected visit to see Paul Dye & Louise Hose who had arrived home from Minnesota (towing a trailer).

Minden_2013_17.JPG

Minden_2013_18.JPG

Minden_2013_19.JPG

Paul and Louise treated us to a late lunch (thank you again!!!!) then we had a fun visit at their new Dayton Skypark (A34) home. CONGRATS again on your new life ahead!

Minden_2013_20.JPG

Southern California to Minden - Lake Tahoe

We departed near sunset for the 15 minute flight back to KMEV. Sharkbait let me put my plane in his hangar so I could hook-up the oil pan heater (thank you TOO again!)

Sunday morning, we had an early, light breakfast, and I was able to capture the sunrise:

Minden_2013_21.JPG

We said our goodbyes and were airborne ~0805 with one last look at KMEV:

Minden_2013_22.JPG

Now flying south-ish, it’s time to keep the mountains (‘red stuff’) on the right:

Minden_2013_23.JPG

Minden_2013_24.JPG

Minden_2013_25.JPG

Mono Lake..again:

Minden_2013_26.JPG

There are LOTs of cinder-cones in the Owens Valley

Minden_2013_27.JPG

Here’s Lake Isabella (looking west, southwest):

Minden_2013_28.JPG

The final downline into Rosamond (following a fuel stop at Tehachapi). The San Gabriel Mountains are in the distance (looking southeast):

Minden_2013_29.JPG

Base to final for Runway 8 at Rosamond Skypark (L00)

Minden_2013_30.JPG

Flight time each way ended up being within minutes of each other at 1:45, and it sure was a LOT more fun flying less than 4 hours total instead of driving 12 hours total!

Keep poundin’ them rivets because it’s ALL WORTH IT! Rosie & Tuppergal

Owen Valley

Very nice report, Rosie! I have read some "I learned about Flying From that" stories so I have some appreciation for the excellent weather you had in the Owens Valley. RV's are amazing traveling machines. Thanks for sharing with us.

We're always happy to take our Compadres to Compadres Rosie - isn't popping form Airpark to Airpark grand? But we do have snow a little closer to ours.

Great pictures - drop in any time!

Paul

Nice pictures. Makes me want to plan a flight North soon. I have been up Owens Valley as far as Bishop. Next time I will keep going. It looks like fun.

Thanks again for getting the Havasu City fly-in organized. It was fun to fly in and chat with so many great RV'ers.

Paul and Louise,
I landed at your place around 10:30 am that same day! I saw a few guys working on the hangar so I figured nobody was home and it was still under construction. Next time I'll be sure to bang on the door. I wasnt even planning on entering Nevada, but the weather was so nice that I decided to stretch the RV-3 legs a bit.

Bummer!

Rob, we may not have been home at that time (I think we were "in town" shopping) but I sure regret missing you! I so want to see your -3B! Please drop in again, soon.

I'm only visiting during the university break but I'm loving the house and life here. We've had unplanned non-neighbor guest drop in for every day of the last 5 days! Four (five with Rob) airplanes and one car. Any fears that we were going to be isolated from our friends and relatives have dissipated. Seems folks like visiting Dayton!

Rosie, we loved having you visit. Come back again, soon!

I'm only visiting during the university break but I'm loving the house and life here. We've had unplanned non-neighbor guest drop in for every day of the last 5 days!

Laura and I are looking for someplace to go tomorrow, are you two going to be around??

Laura and I are looking for someplace to go tomorrow, are you two going to be around??

We're going to be in the area Mike - have to run a trailer-load of stuff from teh Carson hangar back to here with a truck and trailer at some point - give me a call and we can talk timing.

Paul

Hey Rob - I am going to be talking to EAA 663 on the 18th in Livermore - hope to fly Tsam down - if you're close, maybe we can get together. Of course, you're ALWAYS close with an RV! :)

Hey! You were in my sand box and didn't even say hi? I flew yesterday out of KMEV and played at Tahoe, but you wouldn't of noticed me, I was in a Skyhalk. Any way I can't wait to get this thing built to play with all you R Vers:D

Great report, Rosie. Did the same thing when Bubba lent me his 170 except took the western route on the way up, then followed Rte. 50 to the lake. Top Ten trip for sure.

Paul & Louise, even though we have a place at the top of Kingsbury Grade that we hope to domicile at in a couple years, might have to transition to Dayton: the whole hangar-home deal is becoming very attractive to this new RV owner, as I have spent far too many hours going from my hangar to workshop for one or two things as I improve my new to me RV (easily a one hour evolution each time).

Last edited:
Paul & Louise, even though we have a place at the top of Kingsbury Grade that we hope to domicile at in a couple years, might have to transition to Dayton: the whole hangar-home deal is becoming very attractive to this new RV owner, as I have spent far too many hours going from my hangar to workshop for one or two things as I improve my new to me RV (easily a one hour evolution each time).

Come on down! It's a forty-five minute drive to the top of Kingsbury from here, the lifts don't open until 0900 - plenty of time to grab breakfast and still hit the slopes when they open! ;)

Nice trip report

Rosie,
I enjoyed your trip report and views of "home". I'm 12 time zones away for another month, and then back home. The mountains here are a little taller and rougher, but not near as pretty. My 'ride' burns a little more fuel than yours but I bet it can stay aloft a little longer...;)
I'll give you a call when I get back.
Howard
UAV pilot

Rosie, Paul and Louise,
Another great trip write up. We read every day about your trip to the islands. I really enjoy the trip and reminds me of when we used to fly into Lake Tahoe in the Citation when the company I fly for owned it.
We've been told our daughter will probably be staying in the Sonoma valley area and getting married so were already planning a trip out west in our RV.
Paul was a gracious host when we visited on a trip to Houston Flight Safety for Challenger recurrent and he showed us all the toys. We invited him to come with us for a simulator hop but then learned he had far more experience playing shuttle pilot.
Hopefully, we will make the trip from Georgia some day soon and get to see his new residence out west.
Again, thanks for the trip report. Enjoyed it.

Jack & Anita
65 hours now on the RV
KJZP

Back