What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto 2 blade 160 knots TAS with new O320D2G

BMW_X6M

I have about 15 hours on my new engine from Vans which replaced a rebuilt engine the RV-9A airplane had when I purchased it in July 2012.
Yesterday I think I got the most out of the combination at 8000 feet, 2700 RPM, 160 knots true for the first time in straight and level flight. The engine has been performing well and I have no oil leaks. This engine is also equiped with dual PMAGS.

I also installed the Antisplat oil separater-positive crankcase ventillation and I can report only adding 1/2 quart of oil so far during the break in, and absolutely no oil on the belly. This while running the engine at 7 quarts on the dipstick. This product has several benefits in my opinion. I am very happy so far with the results. It has the bypass check valve also.

I also installed the PlanePower backup alternator on the vacuum pump pad to compliment the primary PlanePower alternator. This was an easy installation and it works perfectly. I can shut down the primary alternator in flight, and the backup takes over automatically and powers the dual Dynon SkyView with GTN650 avionics at a slightly less voltage of 13.6 volts. I?m very happy with this capability and redundancy.

Sounds Like a Great Setup

On my 2004 build, I paired the O320D1A with the Vans recommended Sensenich prop. It's been a workhorse, but the prop is RPM limited and the mass is such that I can't really get over 2600 RPM except going downhill. Hence I can't develop full HP or get the speed you're capable of. On the other hand, it's still pretty darn good. I need to look into the plane power backup alternator.
Fly safe.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

And i thought my -6 with 160hp catto 3 blade was slow. I get 160 ktas at 8000ft turning 2670rpms. I guess it is normal.

RV-9A top end

I have about 15 hours on my new engine from Vans which replaced a rebuilt engine the RV-9A airplane had when I purchased it in July 2012.
Yesterday I think I got the most out of the combination at 8000 feet, 2700 RPM, 160 knots true for the first time in straight and level flight. The engine has been performing well and I have no oil leaks. This engine is also equiped with dual PMAGS.

I also installed the Antisplat oil separater-positive crankcase ventillation and I can report only adding 1/2 quart of oil so far during the break in, and absolutely no oil on the belly. This while running the engine at 7 quarts on the dipstick. This product has several benefits in my opinion. I am very happy so far with the results. It has the bypass check valve also.

I also installed the PlanePower backup alternator on the vacuum pump pad to compliment the primary PlanePower alternator. This was an easy installation and it works perfectly. I can shut down the primary alternator in flight, and the backup takes over automatically and powers the dual Dynon SkyView with GTN650 avionics at a slightly less voltage of 13.6 volts. I?m very happy with this capability and redundancy.

Van's website shows a 9A with 160 hp should top out at 195 mph, so it looks like you still have a little ways to go... :)

Doug

Yep

That's about where I'm at in level flight all in but I'm running ~180hp.
Pmag ignition timed 5deg ATDC so lost some hp there. Got 196 mph TAS level flight once in smooth air and under 1600lbs.

Van's website shows a 9A with 160 hp should top out at 195 mph, so it looks like you still have a little ways to go... :)

Doug

Doug

You'll go faster down low than up high because the engine will generate more power. My -6 will do 175+ knots at 1,000'. It'll do 165-170 at 8,000'.

A 9A with a 160 HP and constant speed will do 195mph as Van listed. Could do it with my old one after new cylinders but it took awhile and mine was faster at 2650 than 2700 I guess to optimize the CS propeller bite to the thinner air up there at 8000'

realistic cruise speeds?

vans states 162 knots (187mph) cruise at 75%, 8000ft, fixed pitch prop, 160hp engine.

(Q: what RPM setting would this 75% expected to be?)

how many can match these RV-9A speeds with their configuration? (I am guessing the cato prop should be about as fast as the sensenich, right? what are they using when they quote this?)

looking over past posts, 145-150 knots in their config seems more common. I am wondering what builder mistakes could possibly consume 10-20 knots.

/iaw

vans states 162 knots (187mph) cruise at 75%, 8000ft, fixed pitch prop, 160hp engine.

(Q: what RPM setting would this 75% expected to be?)

how many can match these RV-9A speeds with their configuration? (I am guessing the cato prop should be about as fast as the sensenich, right? what are they using when they quote this?)

looking over past posts, 145-150 knots in their config seems more common. I am wondering what builder mistakes could possibly consume 10-20 knots.

/iaw

I would guess the Catto would be faster than the fixed pitch Sensenich, which is limited to 2600 RPM. I have 150HP, with the recommended Sensenich. I flight plan at 140 KTAS (usually can see 142), although I generally fly above 10k feet where the plane seems to be happiest, even at 55-60% power, and burns ~6GPH. Even when lower than that, I can't get much over 150 KTAS at WOT.

My goal is to gain about 5 knots, and I am slowly working on the free things I can do to get faster, first. I am going to re-check my wheel pant alignment at next annual (ball is perfectly centered, but they could both be off...), and am working on sealing up the canopy and empennage. Am also considering experimenting with cowling exit area, as I think it is way bigger than it needs to be now. Realistically, though, I know I am limited with my prop because of the 2600 RPM limit- it will never be able to develop full rated power with that restriction. A Catto prop is probably in my future at some point. My engine won't do constant speed, but neither will my wallet. Tinkering with other things keeps me busy and happy though.

Chris

Last edited:
Back