What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhuast leaks at the slip joint?!

Jvon811

Well Known Member
RV-4, O-320-E3D with mid 90's design Sky Dynamics Crossover exhaust...

The exhaust system has short stub pipes that bolt to the cylinder that's maybe 5-6" long and then slips into the next piece which starts the curve and crossover. I've started to get some blowback or leakage on the slip joint on the #2 Cylinder (Front Left). I can see discoloration on the #2 intake tube and plug wires along with the obvious staining on the pipe itself.

All bolts are tight holding the slip joints in compression but there is still a bit of wiggle where I can sometimes, but not always, rock the joint back and forth (maybe 2-3 degrees of movement) which I'm suspecting is the leak.

Anyone dealt with this before? Thanks in advance. I'll try and grab some pictures tomorrow if it will help.

Easy fix

Had a similar issue with my -6. I pulled the exhaust and made sure the slip over tubes were completely round (one was a little ovalled out).Then we used a tubing expander to lightly, very lightly, expand the stub tube from the cylinder. Tightened up the fit nicely. No issues in the 550 hours since.

I use mouse milk on these joints every time I have the cowl off - which is relatively frequent. It helps these joints to remain healthy.

I'll 2nd the exhaust tube expander. Used it on turbo exhaust systems that leaked excessively. Be careful you can over do it easily;so do a little then check.

I did some gentle expanding yesterday and upon reassembly, it went together snugly. A lot better feeling than before. Thanks for the idea! I do use mouse milk on the ball joint in the exhaust but never thought to milk the slip joints.

Best of all, I got to purchase a new tool out of the deal!! :D

I'll know for sure if the leak is gone after the Conditional this week and I run it again.

Back