What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who services CDI's?

FORANE

Well Known Member
I have a mid-continent MD200-306 CDI that I would like to have serviced. Any companies offer service on these units?

I called Mid-Continent Instruments & Avionics and was advised I could send it in for inspection.
Inspection fee $105
When I asked how much repair would likely run for a non-functional CDI needle, I was advised likely $800-900.

So, it looks like it is likely not worth repairing as the cost of a repaired unit is about the market value of a used one.

I would like to get the CDI/Glideslope needles working on my GRT Horizon HX EFIS. Will need to read up on that... Any GRT guru's out there?

Thanks for the suggestion.

I would like to get the CDI/Glideslope needles working on my GRT Horizon HX EFIS. Will need to read up on that... Any GRT guru's out there?

What nav radio(s) are you using? That will be the key here. Pretty much anything will drive a localizer/glide slope display on the HX. Getting an OBS for a VOR is harder for older radios.

No problem. Follow the HX manual instructions. Hook up the serial and ARINC lines, the analog lines aren't needed. On the HSI page you can show the GPS on the main CDI, and the VOR as a RMI pointer; or vice versa.

So the HSI page has to be displayed to show the needles? My panel space is limited or I would get a second HX screen. Typically I keep the full screen in EFIS alone. Can the needles be painted on the EFIS screen?

The primary nav choice will show on the primary efis page. You choose between pointers on the side/bottom, or needles in the middle of the display. I like to split primary page/CDI, but that's just my preference. You won't see the secondary nav displays unless you display the CDI.
Edit: Likewise for a VOR you need to at least temporarily display the CDI (either full screen or split) to set the OBS.

Last edited:
Back