What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 28 : Fuel System

steve wyman

Well Known Member
Here's a heads up for some of you guys who might be just starting on your fuselage kit. I have just finished section 28 ( I did part of it back in November, when I was waiting for the tailcone to arrive). If I were ever to build another of these little beasties, I would do the following: First item: Perform step 1 on page 28-06 before you install the fuselage bottom as per page 21-16- you will still have to file the washer as called for, but the entire process will only take about a minute, and will not be in your way later on. This fitting takes two folks to do if you wait til section 28 and is not the easiest to install at that point. Second item: I would heartily recommend that you consider doing the entire remainder of section 28 before you install the fuselage sides in section 23 and certainly before you attach the tailcone. All the fuel system components and lines are sort of buried and protected down in their tunnel and won't be in your way later on- this includes interior painting. Please give serious consideration to my above suggestions- you will thank me if you do. Steve

Here's a heads up for some of you guys who might be just starting on your fuselage kit. I have just finished section 28 ( I did part of it back in November, when I was waiting for the tailcone to arrive). If I were ever to build another of these little beasties, I would do the following: First item: Perform step 1 on page 28-06 before you install the fuselage bottom as per page 21-16- you will still have to file the washer as called for, but the entire process will only take about a minute, and will not be in your way later on. This fitting takes two folks to do if you wait til section 28 and is not the easiest to install at that point. Second item: I would heartily recommend that you consider doing the entire remainder of section 28 before you install the fuselage sides in section 23 and certainly before you attach the tailcone. All the fuel system components and lines are sort of buried and protected down in their tunnel and won't be in your way later on- this includes interior painting. Please give serious consideration to my above suggestions- you will thank me if you do. Steve

There is an easy way to install this fitting by yourself. First put the fitting into the hole from the rear center tunnel in the baggage compartment. Take a long nosed Vise Grip wrench and clamp it on the fitting with the 45 degree angle facing up. Then clamp the Vise Grip wrench to the bulkhead with a soft jawed bar clamp, the kind that ratchet closed. Crawl under the fuselage and install the modified washer and the bulkhead nut. It is easier to use a crows foot wrench and a short extension to tighten the nut. You can't get a socket on the nut because it is too close to the bottom skin.

The rest of section 28 is sort of a pain, but it is doable. Hope this helps those who have already completed the fuselage structure and installed the tail cone.

I'm with Steve if anyone at Van's is reading. I ended up trying to do it with crows feet but even those wouldn't come far enough around the nut...ended up using the two people routine. All unnecessary as Steve says, but "doable" as Jim says.

There is an easy way to install this fitting by yourself. First put the fitting into the hole from the rear center tunnel in the baggage compartment. Take a long nosed Vise Grip wrench and clamp it on the fitting with the 45 degree angle facing up. Then clamp the Vise Grip wrench to the bulkhead with a soft jawed bar clamp, the kind that ratchet closed. Crawl under the fuselage and install the modified washer and the bulkhead nut. It is easier to use a crows foot wrench and a short extension to tighten the nut. You can't get a socket on the nut because it is too close to the bottom skin.

The rest of section 28 is sort of a pain, but it is doable. Hope this helps those who have already completed the fuselage structure and installed the tail cone.
You're right Jim, section 28 is "doable" when called for, but my point is that it would be much more easily accomplished, if done when I suggest. Steve

Sticky! Sticky! Sticky!

I sure wish these chapter hints could all be together with a sticky! They are getting buried on old posts and are too valuable to get buried. Thanks to Joe and Marty and Jim and Jerry and everyone else!

When my EAA friends came by and I had one side on, they said you need to put the fuel system in now! I'm sure glad I did, but I wish I had put the 45 degree bulkhead in before I put the bottom on!

I now am wondering about the corrugated baggage bulkhead cover (see Jerry G May 08 sun n fun photos)
Is it going to be necessary to pull the fuel tank to do an annual?

Thanks for the heads up steve, I was on my way to the hanger to install the side skins when I read your post...on my way to section 28 now.

Steve, EXCELLENT tip. Made installing the fuel system much easier without having the sides on. GOOD CALL!

If these good tips keep up I'm gonna go broke owing guys beer.

If these good tips keep up I'm gonna go broke owing guys beer.

Larry,
You never go broke owing people. As a matter of fact that just puts you in line for a government "bail-out". It PAYING UP that causes you to go broke!

Read it, forgot it, paying the price

I think it was about 2 seconds after riveting on the belly skin that I remembered that I hadn't put that fitting in.

I'm paying the piper for my forgetfulness today. This is NOT easy!

Jamb Nut on Fitting

Are you guys using anything on the fitting jamb nut to prevent coming loose later? I have installed the fitting, but will wait before installing the lower skin until I am sure.

Back