What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

0-320-?

Billythekid

Well Known Member
I have been working at a local shop in my spare time and the owner has been gracious enough to give me a core engine, its a 6 cyl Lycoming that the previous owner let go via a insurance deal so my part in its journey is... if I haul it to the engine shop that rebuilds, I can use whatever core value the 6 cyl engine is worth as credit for a 0-320-?. as I type this I am researching in my vans preview plans set in the engine section. there is a bunch of choices so any advise will help. I don't want to show up at the engine shop and not have all the answers and get a "no soup for you... one year" response

Check out this Wiki page on the variants of the O320. You'll need to know if you desire

* Constant speed or FP prop
* forward or aft CS governor location
* Dual magneto (not desirable)
* Sump type (some are made for helicopter mounting)
* 150 or 160 HP (easy choice)
* etc, etc

If you are building a nose gear -6A you don't want an O-320 that has a sump mounted carb in the aft position.

The O-320-E2G (Grumman Cheetah) would be one to avoid.

Sumps and associated parts can be changed but the added cost should be taken into account. The engine shop can help there.

If you are building a nose gear -6A you don't want an O-320 that has a sump mounted carb in the aft position.

The O-320-E2G (Grumman Cheetah) would be one to avoid.

Sumps and associated parts can be changed but the added cost should be taken into account. The engine shop can help there.

O-320-B2? is another variation with the aft mounted carb that will not work in an -A model RV without swapping out the sump.

Also, Dynafocal mounts are so common now that people forget to ask, but you need to know what you're getting.

Dynas are supposed to feel smoother in the cockpit, but the mount cushions are a couple to several orders of magnitude more expensive than the old straight mount cushions (~$30 for a whole set vs $$hundreds *each*). I've owned several 'straight' mount engines in addition to one dyna mount, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another straight mount. Others will disagree, of course. You would probably need a special-order mount from Van's for a straight mount engine these days.

Charlie

Back