What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl pin retaining?

garrys

My now 7 year old RV7 has begun to loosen the cowl hinge pins so that they are backing out. Friction no longer seems to hold them in place. This is most prominent on the lower cowl horizontal pins, and on the top cowl horizontal pins. How are others "securing" these pins to keep them from backing out?

Hinge pin retaining

This is a little disappointing. Five days on the forum with my question about a way to secure my cowl hinge pins from backing out.....and zero responses.

hmmmmm

that is odd.....
I just didn't see it. this might be tough to do a search for.

the upper cowl pins, I screwed a U-shaped bracket on the firewall, so as they try to back out, the L bend hits the bracket.

the lower ones have 3" long L bends, & are extra long, so they just slip by the centre cowl support, and will hit it if they start to move....plus they poke thru a hole in the cowl joiner base plate ( sorry, no pic handy).

email me if you'd like a pic...hope that helps.

cowl pins

Component Supply Fort Meade, Fl. has SS pins (rod) 36" long comes in 0.001 you'd be surprised how much 0.005 makes a huge difference! fast shipping great product little pricey but cheap as other parts go . Hope this helps you.

What do you currently have in place to prevent them from backing out?

I do not have a picture, but on my cowl the end of the pin is bent to come around to the inside of the air intake. It wraps around the fiberglass where there is a notch cut out of the edge of the lower cowl fiberglass inside the air intake area. The pin is then bent to fit into that notch. It in effect acts a spring and holds the pin in place. Hope this makes sense.

I copied an idea from an Osh award winner. They do back off a bit but the plate is holding them.

Back