What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming SB 518D Oil Bypass Valve Inspection

We had a Mooney with an IO-360 with an affected vernatherm. You should check which one you have installed.

There is no instructions as where exactly this is located in our engines or how to remove them. Anybody has done this or has pictures of it.

I also have a IO-360-M1B but no indication if this part is in my engine or not.

mine is on the oil filter adapter, all you will see is the thin looking nut part between his pinkeye and ring finger, there should be safety wire on it. if you remove it, be sure to have a new copper sealing washer, it may or may not seal after removal.

Just wondering if any one has checked for this SB and found any issues. Also, any thing to watch or trick to know for when installing it back? I have ordered some washers and believe the torque value is 300 Inch and planning on doing this this weekend.

Any more information on this?

Hello,

does anyone have more information about this? The link to the Lyco document does not work.

I'm interested in more information about which seal does it need, so I can organize a new one before I take it apart, and how much torque I need to install it. Looks like Bavafa found the torque which seams to be 300 in.-lbs.

Thanks,

Dominik

Hello,

does anyone have more information about this? The link to the Lyco document does not work.

I'm interested in more information about which seal does it need, so I can organize a new one before I take it apart, and how much torque I need to install it. Looks like Bavafa found the torque which seams to be 300 in.-lbs.

Thanks,

Dominik

Parts are in parts book.
Torque is in overhaul manual.
The document is available on Lycoming.com.
It affects ALL 360 engines, so my new M1B is in range.

If I hit my finger with a hammer and someone else had the pain, I could keep doing it. Defective design, defective part, and we have to cover it. Nice business model for Lycoming. :eek:

Hello,

Thanks,

Dominik

VERNATHERM GASKET - 76510 @ aircraftspruce.com
Get a few, this is a recurring inspection, or replace with a newer Vernatherm unit

Hello,

Thanks,

Dominik

Correct new link for the original SB -

http://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SB518D Oil Cooler Bypass Valve Inspection (1).pdf

The SB is part number dependent so you need to check what is on your engine.

I was intending of replacing it but after checking the part number stamp on it, it turned out that mine wasn't effected. Check the part number first to see if yours is effected.

no markings?

...mine has NO markings of any kind on the top, even lightly sanded it to see if there was something painted over etc.

.....any thoughts on that? were non-Lycoming vernathermii commonly used?

...mine has NO markings of any kind on the top, even lightly sanded it to see if there was something painted over etc.

.....any thoughts on that? were non-Lycoming vernathermii commonly used?

I remember some pilots group trying to find a source for non-aircraft vernatherms.

IIRC at that time they couldn't find an alternate non-aviation source, or even who made them for Lycoming.

hmmmmmmm strange!

...so that leaves me wondering where this baby came from!

I guess the only thing to do is pull it and wiggle the crimp eh?

(...probably been in there for 40 years!) :rolleyes:

I will be very disappointed to see the need to address a 1972 original issue SB on a 2010 new Lycoming. While I do not know this for a fact, one would think that ADs and SBs prior to manufacture date are complied with. Any other path would seem legally stupid.

I will be very disappointed to see the need to address a 1972 original issue SB on a 2010 new Lycoming. While I do not know this for a fact, one would think that ADs and SBs prior to manufacture date are complied with. Any other path would seem legally stupid.

That's the way I'm approaching this too, Bill. There is the very small possibility that someone had an old one laying on the shelf and didn't see the service bulletin and it got installed, though. I will look at my Mattituck documentation and see if it has an installed part number listed, but I do not remember it being on the list. Access to the valve is not good and the oil filter will need to come off and I just changed oil at the first of the month before I saw this.

Gil, here is something that came up on an internet search that seems to confirm they are made by Rosa Vernatherm.

http://ellis-assoc.com/uploads/Anatomy_of_a_Vernatherm.pdf

As I look at the description and drawings here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...on.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFFC2tAq_0FDBHyXjS1P0aPNs-v1w

which is SI 1008C,

my -M1B has a spin-on oil filter in this location.

Am I mistaken about this?

Merrill
For your engine (which I have the same) the valve is located at the bottom pointing up. During your next oil change when you remove your oil filter, take a look at the bottom part and you should see it. Of course it can also be seen with the oil filter in place only not as easily.

When I was talking to a support tech at Lycoming about an unrelated issue, I asked about this SB and he said only engines manufactured 10-15+ years ago were affected and that I didn't need to even bother removing mine.

The relevant Lycoming Mandatory Service Bulletin is 518D and relates to a possibly faulty Thermostatic Oil Cooler Bypass Valve.

The problem is that a crimp nut on the end of the valve that is located inside the engine can come loose and drop into the engine accessory case causing engine damage. Oh ooh. :eek:

The Mandatory Bulletin outlines a procedure for removing the valve and checking the crimp nut. If the valve nut fails the check the Bulletin calls for it to be replaced with a current model of approved valve as stipulated in Lycoming Service Instruction # 1565.

Service Instruction #1565 calls for the approved valve replacement to be a part no. 53E22144. In other words if you have a valve with part no. 53E22144 in your engine then you have no problem and the Mandatory Bulletin is not applicable.

To determine the part no of your valve you should look in the Engine Log that came with your engine. It should contain a list of all components and the relevant part numbers (including the valve). Failing that you will need to examine the valve in your engine to determine its part no.

However, as a rough guideline, my AeroSport IO360 was purchased new in February 2008 and came with the current (approved) valve part no 53E22144 so I am assuming that any new engine purchased after that date will likely also have the approved valve....unless of course the "manufacturer" used very old valve stock.

Last edited:
Just checked mine. It was easy to read the part number that is stamped into the top of the valve.

The top of the valve faces down on my oil filter adapter. Used a small mirror and a bright light, and practiced my backward and upside-down reading skills. :eek: P/N was the new one. :)

No need to remove a valve unless it is on the "suspect" list in the SB.

Inspection complete with iPhone.

Doesn't appear to want me to insert an image but you can see at the link below.

IMG_3586.JPG

My -7 has the IO360 M1B built mid 2013

Last edited:
Socket size?

Anyone know the socket size for the Vernaterm. It looks larger than anything I'm likely to have in my toolkit...

Cheers, Sean

Back