What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airflow Systems A/C Return Air

Lynnb

Well Known Member
Did anyone build in return air from the interior cabin with there A/C install, or are you just pulling air from the tail? Just curious how people have handled this.

Thanks,
Lynn

Did anyone build in return air from the interior cabin with there A/C install, or are you just pulling air from the tail? Just curious how people have handled this.

Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn,

I know that South Florida Sport Aviation http://www.sfsportaviation.com/, who's an advertiser on this site, sells an overhead console that does send cabin air as the return air back to the AC unit. I believe the AC unit they package is the Airflow Performance set up. My airplane will not have AC, but I am using their overhead console and intend to route a tie-in for an ice-box style "poor man's" AC unit, for use during hot days. Hope that helps.

Thanks Mike. I already have the airflow systems and have it plumbed to a custom overhead, just been thinking about return air.

Lynn

Do you have the standard or larger evaporator? If you have the larger one, I've been working with Bill on a solution. Currently it's two transition pieces that cut through the upper Bulkhead piece and go straight into the unit.

If it's the standard I would call Bill and see what he suggests. You defiantly want it to come from the cabin vs the tail.

I have a knockout in the upper aft bulkhead piece that transitions via a fiberglass channel to the blower intake. A frame juts out two inches and then gets covered by a headliner piece that Velcro’s to it. It allows for an air filter and air intake around the perimeter.

Haven’t noticed a whole lot of difference in flight but it definitely seemed to enhance performance taxiing out in a heat soaked airplane, and even more when taxiing in in PHX where the cabin air is 80ish and the OAT is 110ish. Haven’t really noticed a noise difference.

Last edited:
If anybody can post a couple of pics on returns through the upper bulkhead, it would be appreciated. Would like to see how it looks from the cabin.

Do you have the standard or larger evaporator? If you have the larger one, I've been working with Bill on a solution. Currently it's two transition pieces that cut through the upper Bulkhead piece and go straight into the unit.

If it's the standard I would call Bill and see what he suggests. You defiantly want it to come from the cabin vs the tail.

I have the standard, at the time he was still working out issues with the larger one. My plan is to just create a duct through the upper rear bulkhead panel, I was just hoping to see what others had done. I just want to make sure, other than a pre-filter, that I don't restrict the airflow any more than necessary.

Do you have any additional pictures of your set-up? I searched your sight, which by the way I really enjoy reading, but couldn't find more than your initial mock up and mention of working with Bill.

Thanks again,
Lynn

Here are a few pictures showing the transition pieces, how they come through the bulkhead. Also a picture of how it's wired in the tail cone and how the cap piece will fit. Bill is working on that part which will have recessed edges to match the transition piece as well as a grill for the airflow.

Thanks for the pics.

Here are a few pictures showing the transition pieces, how they come through the bulkhead. Also a picture of how it's wired in the tail cone and how the cap piece will fit. Bill is working on that part which will have recessed edges to match the transition piece as well as a grill for the airflow.

Back