What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pipe thread on Andair filter-pump leak

simatos

Well Known Member
Im using the Andair pump and Andair filter. They mate together with a pipe thread.
I have tightened it as much as I think is safe without damaging it but it continues to leak at this joint. Any idea how I might get it to seal.
Thank you
Gary

Pipe threads need a sealant. What are you using?
Do not use teflon tape. Do not use RTV.
Many like Permatex (#2, iirc), there are others.

I have been researching this as well as I am working on the fuel tanks and need to seal some pipe threads as well. My research on the forums has revealed most use permatex #2 and Loctite 567. The loctite has had the most "rave" reviews.

permatex #2, PTFE sealant, Loctite 567, NOT teflon Tape. All of those have good results. YMMV. Used PTFE for years.

Tom

You know, I have a question about this filter...I have the Andair pump/filter combo as well.

What's the point of the safety wire on the filter? If it's screwed into the pump at one end, and a fuel line (from the fuel selector valve, in my case) is screwed on the other, how would the filter case *ever* unscrew itself?

Granted, I don't have it handy, so I'm going by memory, but still...?

Fuel Lube

Pipe threads need a sealant. What are you using?
Do not use teflon tape. Do not use RTV.
Many like Permatex (#2, iirc), there are others.

Is "Fuelube" okay to use as thread sealant for fuel line connections?

I've also heard of using Petroleum Jelly and Grease on fuel fittings. Really?

thanks

Is "Fuelube" okay to use as thread sealant for fuel line connections?

I've also heard of using Petroleum Jelly and Grease on fuel fittings. Really?

thanks

both pet jelly and grease will dissolve in gas. I would ignore any advise from that source. I would not trust fuel lube as an NPT sealant, so have no experience.

Larry

Andair fuel pump/filter

I initially was going to install the filter into the input side of my Andair auxiliary fuel pump but decided not to as I would have to disturb the fuel lines inside the cabin to clean the filter at the annual inspection. This would have then allowed fuel to leak inside the cabin and I decided that was not an option I wanted.

Instead I installed two Andair gascolators (one with normal direction flow, one with reverse flow) between the wing and fuselage. Click (or copy and paste) on the link below to view diagrams for Andair recommendations for this type of installation.

http://www.andair.co.uk/sport-general-aviation/fuel-systems/

Plus I have used Loctite 567 sealant on my NPT threads. NOTE: Make sure that the sealant cannot enter you fuel system. There should be at least one thread on the end of the union without any sealant.

Last edited:
Not first thread

Which ever you use do not put anything on the first thread of the fitting and the pump will not get contaminated.

RAZ

Have used fuel lub when working on S-58`s in Washington. It worked very well.
Fittings will not seize, will stop most seeps, will not dissolve in fuel.

Back