What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forgot to rivet....Now what?

ShortSnorter

Well Known Member
While buttoning up the rudder skins, I must have missed the part about riveting the forward flange of the counter balance rib. The easy answer is to remove the counterweight, secure the skin to the rib and re-install the counterweight. The problem is there are two massive globs of JB weld standing between me and the lock nuts securing the counterweight. Any alternative solutions to securing the two rivets other than removing the counterweight?:confused:

11kxsok.jpg

i26dkk.jpg

You also need to dimple countersink the front side rivet locations....

There really isn't any other alternative other than doing what you already know. Bight the bullet and take it apart.

You also need to dimple countersink the front side rivet locations....

There really isn't any other alternative other than doing what you already know. Bight the bullet and take it apart.

Good catch, you just saved more potential heart ache.
I figured.... Any tips for Jb weld removal?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
So just a thought, if you jb welded the weight in youre not expecting this to ever come apart right? How about shooting some T88 in through the holes and lock it all in place? Itll never ever come out.

Heat will soften the jb weld easily. This is a dead easy fix. A heat gun or one of those butane pencil torches but if you use flame have good ventilation.

So just a thought, if you jb welded the weight in youre not expecting this to ever come apart right? How about shooting some T88 in through the holes and lock it all in place? Itll never ever come out.

The Jb weld is only on the locknuts on top.

Heat will soften the jb weld easily. This is a dead easy fix. A heat gun or one of those butane pencil torches but if you use flame have good ventilation.

I didn't think about the heat gun option. I think I'll give that a shot! Thanks for the tip.

Not so sure you need to deal with the JB weld. I suspect those bolts will just screw out of the JB weld anyway. Might take a bit of oomph to crack them loose.

Back