What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drill & Tap the AEX Tiedown

DaveWelch

Well Known Member
Hi Gang,
Quick intro: I'm Dave Welch. Ellen and I just recieved RV12 Wing Kit #121 here in Huntsville. BTW: We built our RV7 Emp at Alexander's with Rudi Greyling. It was a pleasure to see his finished aircraft pix and hear about the awards.

OK, the Question:
Seems to me the existing hole in the AEX tiedown is SO CLOSE to being 3/8" already, I'm afraid to try drilling it for fear of breaking my bit off down in there. Did you guys actually drill it or did you just go ahead and run the tap in there? If drilled, did you do it by hand or with a Drill Press. Any experiences, cautions and suggestions will be appreciated!

Best Regards,
Dave.

Hi Dave! Good to see you here!

Sorry I can't help you with your query, I am still waiting for my wing kit, it is on the water to South Africa. Suppose to be in the harbour end of this week, so soon.

Good luck with the RV12!

Regards
Rudi

Dave approx the first 1/4 inch depth of the AEX is pre drilled at 5/16 then it get smaller so you need to drill it deeper with the 5/16 bit before you tap it. I think Vans did it this way so you would have a nice straight hole when you drill it for the tap. Mark your bit with tape for the 1 inch depth and use a 3/8-16 tap. Tap top and bottom. I used a high speed air drill. You can use a slower electric drill just dont wollow it out as you go. See this link for great info for corrections to plans: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=34767

John
Wings done
awaiting fuse.

Anyone have any idea why the plans, page 13-02, call for us to drill and tap both the top and bottom on each wing? I don't ever recall seeing a hole in the top skin for any sort of lift or tiedown. I just completed it anyway but it seems weird to me.

Anyone have any idea why the plans, page 13-02, call for us to drill and tap both the top and bottom on each wing? I don't ever recall seeing a hole in the top skin for any sort of lift or tiedown. I just completed it anyway but it seems weird to me.

Randy,
The wing skin has a P.P. hole on the top location as well as the bottom.

During kit development it was conceived as an anchor point that could be used while trailing or even lifting the airplane to hang off the floor in a hangar.
Most people don't enlarge the hole and just fill it with a rivet. The rivet can be removed and the hole enlarged at a later time if there was ever a desire to use it. I usually tell people that if the have no experience with taps, it is a good place to practice before doing the ones on the bottom.

Cleveland

Not sure about the 12 but Cleveland sells a kit with three brackets and nice tie down bolts. Tie downs are already drilled and tapped.

Don't know if they're still available, but Vans did carry pre tapped, anodised and very nicely finished brackets for the 12 wing tie downs. I bought a pair, probably 6 years ago. They were quite reasonably priced as I recall.
Cheers,
DaveH 120485

Was going to ask about tapping the top of the bracket since I didn?t see anything mentioned in the plans about a hole in the skin. I though maybe it would be a place to mount a camera.

Was going to ask about tapping the top of the bracket since I didn?t see anything mentioned in the plans about a hole in the skin. I though maybe it would be a place to mount a camera.

I haven't done the whole GoPro thing yet but I would think that would make an excellent camera mount! Do the plans explain the top mount option later on? Because there is no mention whatsoever in the early section where you are instructed to drill and tap both ends. And does Van's recommend a specific type of cap for the resulting hole?

Back