What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics full payment Requirement (Garmin)

Crafting N112DR

Well Known Member
Be advised that Vans has changed the way they ship avionics kits for the iS version. For Garmin kit orders, 25% of the items are shipped from Van?s directly to Steinair in Minnesota. Steinair will then make the wiring harnesses and test them, add the rest of the items needed to complete the package, and then they would ship from their facility directly to each of us. Shipping costs have already been worked into the pricing of the avionics kits now, so there will be no additional payment needed to ship the order.

Because of this new restructuring of the way these kits are shipped, Vans is asking for full payment now. One policy that hasn?t changed is the acceptance of only 25% deposit by credit card and the balance by check or bank transfer. Once payment is received, Vans will ship the required items to Steinair who will ship from their location in MN whenever they are ready.

I always wondered why we can?t use a card for 100%. Don?t they want us to get the frequent flyer points?😝

my guess is that it?s the ?processing fee? that Visa charges Van?s...generally 2-3% of each transaction.

thats the only reason. they'll argue that their markup on engine & avionics isnt much.. so they cant afford to lose that 2-3%.. and of course the markup on the sheetmetal parts is a lot since they're performing all the work on the metal themselves.

I'd argue that all the prices should be dropped 2-3% .. and for those people who have cash.. great.. they can save $. And for all us who need to use a card for some/most/all of the project..well, we'll have to pay a surcharge. ...which we already do now on the tail/fuse/finish kits.

Back