What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TX or GA Aircraft Tax

jeffwhip

Well Known Member
I have an interesting story. I bought my RV-10 kit from an individual in Plano, TX 3 years ago and had it delivered to AZ. Fast forward 3 years...I moved to TX. Last summer, my wife and I bought a lot and a hangar with a built-in apartment in GA and moved my RV-10 out there (where I'm presently building when I get out there).

I just reserved a Buno Number with the FAA and received a letter from them asking me to respond and send a "written request describing the aircraft by manufacturer, model and serial number...". I was wondering if I should call my airplane the "Schflitenhoffer Special" and send them a parts list or just call it an RV-10?

Also, will I be required to pay sales tax on my aircraft at some point as a TX resident? How about Georgia if I were to become a GA resident?

Thanks!

In Texas it even goes further. Regardless if either party has a sales tax number there is no sales tax on an "occasional sale" of an aircraft with the definition of such being where the seller doesn't sell airplanes in their normal course of business. So as long as the individual or company from whom you buy your aircraft from isn't an aircraft broker there is no sales tax. Correspondingly, if you keep your day job but buy and sell aircraft a couple of times a year just to fly something different this too qualifies as an occasional sale in Texas.

I live near Savannah, GA and pay no taxes on my airplane. Folks 30 minutes north in SC have to pay a hefty property tax on theirs.

GA tax

Ray
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but GA has a property tax on aircraft. Perhaps they haven't found you yet probably since you flew after the first of the year. Early in the year they send out a questionnaire. If you have your aircraft in a corporation they may very well find you if you are at a public airport. The airport managers report tail numbers. In which case you will be charged a use tax.

Here is a previous thread discussing this:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=125444&highlight=property+tax

Last edited:
I live near Savannah, GA and pay no taxes on my airplane. Folks 30 minutes north in SC have to pay a hefty property tax on theirs.

Yup, what Carol said. Took a couple years, if memory serves, but I eventually got the property tax bill each year.

To answer the first question, calling it a flulledinger or an RV-10. My experience was that Registry will require it to be called an RV-10 and the kit number will be you aircraft serial number. If you haven't already, get a bill of sale from Van's for that specific kit number and a bill of sale from any and all previous owners, chain of custody. Good luck, Dan from Reno

Texas tax

If you have a good long term Texas address, keep it registered in Texas, no tax. I don't know what GA. Does on transit aircraft. We have a lot of winter Texans that leave there airplanes here all winter, no tax. The states do buy aircraft registration information also. So a Georgia address, Georgia taxes.:confused:

Jeffwhip 10

Call it a Jeffwhip-10. Put that on the registration and A/W cert. The tax man has no way to question the value as you are the manufacturer. Give it a serial number in accordance with the manufacturer's (you) numbering policy. Your first build, label it serial number 1.

JMHO

Call it a Jeffwhip-10. Put that on the registration and A/W cert. The tax man has no way to question the value as you are the manufacturer. Give it a serial number in accordance with the manufacturer's (you) numbering policy. Your first build, label it serial number 1.

JMHO

Then see how your insurance quote works out with an unknown "one-off" design Jeffwhip-10. Would also hurt resale value I would assume.

Ray
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but GA has a property tax on aircraft. Perhaps they haven't found you yet probably since you flew after the first of the year. Early in the year they send out a questionnaire. If you have your aircraft in a corporation they may very well find you if you are at a public airport. The airport managers report tail numbers. In which case you will be charged a use tax.

Here is a previous thread discussing this:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=125444&highlight=property+tax

Bubble bursted! ;)

I had been keeping the plane in SC but will be moving it to GA soon. I guess they'll get me... hopefully later :D

Then see how your insurance quote works out with an unknown "one-off" design Jeffwhip-10. Would also hurt resale value I would assume.
And the FAA may require a 51% determination for the kit for your "one-off" design as well.

Possible tax credit in Georgia

Do some reading at dor.ga.gov. I found this easily "a taxpayer's use tax liability will be reduced by like taxes previously paid in another state. "
they may have another clause that negates it but I couldn't find it, yet. I have heard that some states do not allow this and u get to pay twice. Maybe other victims can add info about their state.

I was simply quoting from the paperwork for my RV6A.
Make: Townsend
Model: RV-6A
Serial No.: 001

About half the RVs I looked at were labeled this way.

TX Tax Bad Info

There are some misconceptions about the Texas tax passed here.

If you buy an existing (flying) aircraft, you can usually avoid sales tax since it is a "casual buy". Not so from a dealer. Texas also has a "use tax".

If you BUILD an aircraft, it is subject to a use tax. The fact that you bought kit parts somewhere else is not relevent. If its first flight is in TX, or if you bring it into the state within one year of its first flight you are subject to the tax. Once you register it you will likely be contacted by the tax office. The tax is not cheap.

They have a publication that covers this and you should check it out because it is complicated.

A bunch of guys will chime in and say they never paid the tax. For some reason the tax office ignores RV4-7, but pick on RV-10s. Probably some $ cutoff. Life is not fair.

I paid this tax on my 10, not on my 6.

The insurance on my A&M-6 is exactly the same as it would be on an RV-6. As a matter of fact insurance has it listed as "A&M-6/RV-6"

Serial # is 92006. Ann & Mel's 6th build and we thought it would be finished in 1992.

Last edited:
Back