What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Conditioner for RV-10

I recently purchased an RV 10 and am considering adding an air conditioner. Please advise on which one I should install. Thank you, Mark Truitt

I don't think I'd want to do this to an already built aircraft. It's an EXTENSIVE modification. Even if you did the Flightline all-electric version, you'd still need to add the air inlet and exhaust for the condenser to the bottom of the aircraft in the bay behind the battery (not fun to work there), put in the package tray to the longerons over the battery, plumb the registers and return vents (do you have an overhead console or will you have to add it?) and deal with moving things around that may be in the way. If you use the engine-powered compressor, add the fluid lines running forward to the engine and the engine work needed to add the compressor. Oh, and don't forget the wiring to the panel to control the system.

I'm not knocking A/C and am thoroughly enjoying installing it in my project but it's tough enough adding it into the unfinished airframe. But if I were in your shoes, I'd buy an airplane with A/C already installed or start building one before I'd try to put it in a finished airframe.

Air Conditionining

Hello Mark,

Our air conditioning system was developed and engineered with special consideration for the homebuilder. Whether your aircraft is being built or already flying our kits offer a straight forward installation that can be easily accomplished by any builder. We also provide installation services if desired.

When you have some time please visit our website and take a look for yourself. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at any time. I have attached a link to our website and my contact information below.

Thank You

Mark,
With that particular -10 I don't think you want to let the empty cg move any further aft than it already is, unless you will never carry 4 adults. Or, you plan to compensate by going to a heavier prop, moving the battery to the firewall, etc. Either way, do some serious cg calculations before investing a lot of money.
One compromise would be to put one of the styrofoam coolers/fan/heat exchangers in the baggage area. Might be enough to make taxiing in Oklahoma bearable. I don't know but it's relatively inexpensive to try. And easy to remove if you need more useful load/forward cg movement.
Bob

That's exactly the sort of air conditioning system I am still considering after looking at the available options. Only need it for taxi and takeoff in most scenarios, and the melted ice becomes dump-able ballast you don't have t waste fuel and performance hauling all the way to the destination. Easily available "refrigerant" refills.

Mark,

I'm in the process of installing an A/C in my RV-10 during the build, and decided on the Airflow Systems package http://www.airflow-systems.com/rv-10/

This system minimizes the hull penetrations by putting the condenser into a scoop under the belly, and they even have a way to run the hoses under the belly if you are doing an after the build install. It is possible to run the hoses inside but it won't be easy in a finished aircraft. Also, with the compressor in the front of the engine to offset the weight of the evaporator/fan in the tail cone, the weight & balance shouldn't be impacted too significantly.

I tried one of the ice coolers with fan in my Grumman and wasn't satisfied with it. There wasn't a lot of cooling, the ice melted after about 30-40 min. and getting the unit back out of the aircraft without spilling the water wasn't easy. All in all, I wouldn't personally recommend this as a solution.

Air Conditioner

I also am installing the airflow system. It looks great with the scoop. Has a P-51 look. What was not clear to me at the time when I bought it, is the system requires many modifications to the RV-10 kit: my block require me to drill holes for the attachment brackets, that was scary, the cowl requires a blister to make room for the compressor, and all the baffling on the pilot side front had to be extensively modified. I build a shelf for the guts of the system in the tail, and plumbed all the lines from front to back. Count on a few hundred hours as a minimum for the work. Plus the hoses need to be insulated from the engine heat. I hope it all works out in the end while sitting in line at Tamiami

Clear sky's

Andy

+1 for Airflow Systems. I have the shelf installed, need to determine how I can run the lines but haven't gotten to that part yet.

I live in Michigan so my cooling fix may not apply to your geography. I installed the Aerosport overhead console and air controller with nacelle vents added aft of the rear passenger area. This provides ample fresh and cooler air over head for front and rear seat passengers. In addition, I added sound proofing insulation to the aft firewall (cuts down engine compartment heat), and I disconnect the scat duct that goes from the muffler to the firewall cabin heat vents during the summer months. Lessens heat into the tunnel and still allows airflow around the muffler shroud. I preferred these mods as opposed to a more expensive, engine power drain, weight and balance issue and modification chorelist of an air conditioner.

Back