What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Calling SW Florida RVers (page field)

leaker311

In March we are moving from Texas to Fort Myers and I was thinking about bringing my baby with me. The only feasible place to put the -7 would be tied down outside at Page Field (FMY). While looking around I noticed two RV's tied down on the ramp so I was wondering if you could share your experiences with me.

I am completely unfamiliar with Florida's weather and all the other factors that can affect an airplane that is parked outside long term. Is there a plan to keep the airplanes from getting destroyed when a hurricane strikes? Airport security? what other unforseen things did you run into?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Marco

For additional information on Page Field and their operations, please call Debra Barr, Airport Service Supervisor for Page Field. She can be reached at:
Office: (239) 590-6604 or (800) 545-JETS.
Email: [email protected]
FAX: (239) 590-6615
Cell: (239) 462-4731
I recommend contacting the local EAA Chapter 66 located at Page Field. The chapter president is Marcos Romeu and he can be reached at:
Home: (239) 645-33566
Email: [email protected]
Web Site: http://www.eaa66org/login.htm
http://www.eaa66.org/newsletters/2-12.pdf

I lived near Miami for three years and had to keep my Cessna tied down outside (Richard's Field). It wasn't too bad, but not great either. I watched for incoming hurricanes and had fly it out once (winds don't pick up too much until the hurricane is on your doorstep, so evacuation by airplane is straightforward). I think the frequency of severe weather is higher in the midwest then in S. Florida. After three years I could see that the sun caused some noticeable damage (paint, windows), and I invested time in corrosion control, but 15 years later I still own the airplane and it is no worse for the wear. So, I guess I wouldn't recommend it for a showplane, but I'm one who believes that airplanes are for flying. Sometimes if you want to keep flying you need to do something like this. A nice canopy cover is important. I really, really enjoyed flying around south Florida.

I live in SW FL (24 years). My first year here I tied down outside in Naples and it was amazing how much UV paint damage occurred. I would NOT park a nice plane outside here for long periods of time. Page has hangars as well as shadeports which would be a big plus. Other option is the 2 airparks in Fort Myers..Buckingham and Pine Shadows.
As far as hurricanes--it's a crapshoot. We had gone 40+ years without any and had a lower % likelihood assigned us by the NWS than Atlantic City prior to the last decade. Best bet is to move the plane (far away) if one is heading this way and you can't get a hangar.

Ft Myers

Except for the drive, you might consider keeping your RV at Punta Gorda (KPGD). It is probably a 45 min drive but there are hangars available and the airport is very friendly toward issues like building and user maintenance. Page, on the other hand, I believe, is not. BTW there are between 20 and 25 RVs at PGD. EAA 565 is the local chapter.

Hangar at Punta Gorda

I agree with Ned Rose's opinion expressed in his post #4. PGD is a very attractive place to have one's RV. I have a hangar that is presently empty and available since my RV is up in the land of ice and snow this winter. I can give you a quite reasonable rate until late Fall. Call me if intrigued. Cell 814..602,,,0278.

Frank Russell

very intrigued

Heck yeah I am very intrigued, I have send you a PM.

Thanks a lot for the info. My airplane is still unpainted so I dont have to worry so much for the paint job but more the effects of the salty air on the bare aluminum. Some people tell me to not worry, some tell me that its going to fall apart after 6 monts...

I was very impressed with the FBO at Page, looks like a million bucks but still very friendly prices hence the idea of parking her there. I have to admit I did not think about Punta Gorda, good tip!

the two on tie down are seasonal airplanes, only here for the winter. you have to worry about corrosion on the bare aluminum. mine has been at FMY for six years inside and I get surface corrosion on the skin. it needs to be washed regularly. hurricanes are not a problem as you know they are coming for a week or more, plenty of time to fly it somewhere else. welcome to south west florida

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
hangar A-59 FMY

Punta Gorta/Port Charlotte

I agree with the fellas that would consider keeping your RV at Punta Gorda (KPGD). I used to live in Punta Gorta and Port Charlotte, (across the bay,) and with exception to the last big one, hurricanes have been minimal over that last 35 years. The airport is east of town and is quite a nice airport. A hanger situation would resolve all issues with exception to a major hurricane. The last major H did some major damage to some of the planes in hangers.

As others said, just move your plane if a hurricane is threatening. Also, shade covers are good for the regular heavy rain showers and sun. I would arrange a hanger. With this current economy I would not trust the avionics staying. This is even an issue in Alaska now.

Back