What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Approach Rudder Pedals RV8

aviationone

Well Known Member
After two years and over 300 hours of flying in my RV8 the biggest issue I had was the rudder Pedals. With a shoe size of 13 my foot would feel like it was getting stuck on the stock RV Pedals. I built the plane with ground adjustable Pedals in hopes that it would give me a bit more room but it still felt uncomfortable.

I decided to order up a pair of Pedals made by Control Approach. They make pedals that is more ergonomically correct (at least to my foot). When I got them I decided to add an aluminum tube 1" diameter and bolted it to where my foot would be able to control the rudder better. (see pictures below)

Flying today was great, no more dragging brakes when Taxiing and landing, control was positive and easy to transition to brakes when needed. And I can still stretch my feet out under the rudder Pedals on long flights.

http://controlapproach.com/products

IMG_5447_zps26nrlilf.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
STOCK PEDAL ON LEFT NEW PEDAL ON RIGHT.

IMG_5449_zpsolpifwgm.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5450_zpsqiebdwyz.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5452_zpsera8qatm.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Paul (Controlled Approach proprietor) is a good guy, and happens to be partners in a RV that lives in the hangar next to my project. His other RV-model pedal systems are pretty interesting, too. I have the tandem pedals in my not-yet-flying 8A, and I believe Bruce Eicher has then in his (flying) 8, Hula Girl. I like the dip between the brake are and the rudder control area - makes it much more definite and less unintentionally mixed in terms of what effect your feet are having on the aircraft I think. Maybe Bruce will chime in with some practical experience.

Interesting idea with the tube addition, too.

Back