What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Sporty" in the context of flight characteristics? Slang or a real word?

I've read multiple threads on VansAirForce talking about things getting "Sporty".

Is there an official definition for this term or is "Sporty" aviation slang?

I asked a friend of mine who is an instructor and he had never heard anyone use the word in aviation circles. (With the exception being a certain company that peddles flight bags and headsets.)

I understand the gist but can anyone clarify the meaning?

Since the definition may involve perspective, I propose this:

Anything that has a better power to weight and roll rate than you are currently flying.

If a post was referring to the wx being a bit on the "sporty" side one could assume it was approaching risky. example: The forecast surface winds were a bit sporty for my liking, so we gave it a pass, stayed home and did yard work.

If a post was referring to the handling of an RV being a bit on the "sporty" side one could assume it refers to the stability being less than one might be used to and the responsiveness greater. Similar to 'light on the controls.'

Brings me closer to the feel I had in a fighter than any other ASEL I have flown, so there's some perspective.

In my RAF days, if something was 'a bit sporty' then that probably meant it was rather more exciting than you had expected or liked it to have been.

Nailed it. Thank you.

If a post was referring to the wx being a bit on the "sporty" side one could assume it was approaching risky. example: The forecast surface winds were a bit sporty for my liking, so we gave it a pass, stayed home and did yard work.

Back