What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Craftsman Rachet set and Easy Exit Bar

jpowell13

Well Known Member
I was shopping at Lowes the other day and noticed this little Craftsman ratchet set on the Christmas gift display. This looked like what I needed to simplify my over-weight x-country tool kit. I removed a couple of the Torx bits and replace them with a 5/16" Allen bit for my nose wheel fairing bolts and another Allen bit size I use frequently. I also put in a screwdriver handle that works with the bits in the kit and a 1/4" square drive screwdriver type handle for the sockets.

The sockets go from 5/32 to 9/16. I'm embarrassed to say that before I just had my old ratchet set pieces loose in the tool bag. Had to dump everything to find the socket I needed. This small box doesn't take up much room and cost me about $25.

24m8efs.jpg

The first job I used the ratchet set on was to install Allan Nimmo's new Easy Exit Bar in my 6A. This took about 10 minutes.

Getting senior citizens in and out of my tip-up cockpit is tough. (Not easy for me either.) I think this addition is going to be a big help. My 94 year old aunt has been a frequent flier, and she has quite a few "sky-miles" she plans to cash in. I think this is going to make it happen. More on the bar when I have a little real world experience with it.

As you can see from the following picture, a side benefit of the Easy Exit Bar is that it gave me a secure place to store my newly organized tool bag between the passengers. It still weighs about 9lbs, and I've been trying to figure out a way to move that weight in front of the spar. I think this is going to work fine. John

axjz9f.jpg

Last edited:
Back