What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sika Canopy

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Tried searching but no luck.

Has anyone Sika'd a canopy on a 12 ?

We are starting one soon and I do not like drilling plexiglass.

7 & 8 both Sika'd - no holes, no cracks :D

M

RV8 canopy

I just finished an 8 slider with Sikaflex for the same reason as you. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a 12

Gary Specketer

Okay..I'm game! Mind explaining "Sikaflex"!!!
Sikaflex is a sealant/bonding material that has been used successfully to attach canopies without drilling holes. If you are building your 12 as an ELSA, it really isn't an option, since this method of attaching the canopy isn't called out in the plans.

For someone outside US (eg Mike), or an EAB in US, it is an interesting option.
I hope someone proves it is a viable alternative.

How To Bond Plastic Windows w/ Sikaflex 295 UV

Mickey's Site How To Bond Plastic Windows w/ Sikaflex 295 UV
Steps to be followed:
Sand surfaces
Clean with SikaCleaner? 226
Apply SikaPrimer? 209
Apply a generous bead of Sikaflex? 295UV
Insert 3/16" spacers
Set glass in place

I (Joe) have never used this product.

So, Mr. Newall... Not to resurrect an old thread form the grave, but did you end up using Sikaflex on your RV-12 canopy, or did you use the screws? Just wondering if I'd be the first, or just the first in the US.

Last edited:
Hey Dale,

Not quite got there yet......

Still really tempted but as we are selling the aeroplanes, the simple way may be to stay with screws - not that I want to.

Our 14 will deffo be glued :D

Please let me know how you get on via PM, always up for the challenge.

Well, we're pretty well committed now. We glued in the new acrylic rear window this afternoon. It's looking pretty good so far. One challenge was holding a little pressure on the window from the inside; we are using an air mattress for that.

Word of warning... You might think a foam brush is a good way to apply the 209D primer. It is, for about 30 seconds until the MEK solvent base starts to eat it.

There's really no way to get a thick bead on the sides or back. We have about 3/16 or so (two Popsicle sticks) between the window and the roll bar, and it tapers down to a thin bead at the corners. We'll do the canopy later on, it wss just too hot to continue today.

Back