What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 avionics

JRo

Well Known Member
Has anyone found a way to install one or more cigarette lighters for portable devices on their RV-12?

Sure, I felt the need for one over above the map box.
2qvw9xu.jpg
[/IMG]

The aviation department of Radio Shack (and probably similar automotive stores) sells a plugin with 2 or even 3 receptacles on it. Of course you have to know your total load vs the fuse to that port. The is even a plugin with a switched outlet, that one RV12 uses to power a pump from an aux tank to the main tank.

Std Kit provided receptacle between seats Question?

The aviation department of Radio Shack (and probably similar automotive stores) sells a plugin with 2 or even 3 receptacles on it. Of course you have to know your total load vs the fuse to that port. The is even a plugin with a switched outlet, that one RV12 uses to power a pump from an aux tank to the main tank.

Question: I didn't build and not sure that KAI points out how/where the Std Aux Power receptacle, located between the seats, is fused?

The power outlet in the original RV-12 with the D-180 is protected
by an inline 5 amp fuse connected to the battery.

The Power Outlet on the Skyview version of the RV-12 is fused via a 5 amp fuse located on the instrument panel-mounted AV-50001 Switch and Fuse Module. You can find out how your specific RV-12 is fused by referring to your applicable KAI, POH, or electrical schematic.

power outles

The plans have one mounted between the pilot and passenger seats. I installed dual USB jacks on my panel and wired it to the same circuit as the original power outlet. I bought the dual USA jacks from Stein.

The plans have one mounted between the pilot and passenger seats. I installed dual USB jacks on my panel and wired it to the same circuit as the original power outlet. I bought the dual USA jacks from Stein.

Original power outlet is always powered independent of master switch. Therefore, if you install USB outlet, you will have constant drain of about 10 mAh even with nothing plugged in. I have my mini iPad powered from USB in place of cigarette lighter plug.

Last edited:
Original power outlet is always powered independent of master switch. Therefore, if you install USB outlet, you will have constant drain of about 10 mAh even with nothing plugged in. I have my mini iPad powered from USB in place of cigarette lighter plug.

That is probably only true for the older D180 RV-12s, The Skyview one is only powered when master is on. Follow wiring from outlet between seats to panel and tap in. Just insure total load does not exceed 5 amps. I installed a dual USB/Power outlets on mine over 3 years ago soon after inspection.

When I wired my fuel pump to the unused nav light switch I wired the old fuel pump power to a cigarette lighter socket on the bracket that supports the ELT antenna. It?s handy for powering a portable ADS-B receiver that sits on my fuel tank top.

This is why I moved the wire from one side of the master solenoid to the other. Quick and easy change, if you want it powered only when the master is on.

Outlet power

This is why I moved the wire from one side of the master solenoid to the other. Quick and easy change, if you want it powered only when the master is on.

Dale, What's involved with moving the wire from one side of the solenoid to the other? Can you identify the wire number?

Dale, What's involved with moving the wire from one side of the solenoid to the other? Can you identify the wire number?

B148, according to my drawing. There's an in-line fuse holder, so it's pretty easy to spot. The drawing shows it connected to the battery terminal. I really don't remember if mine was connected there or to the hot side of the master relay, but now it's on the switched side of the master. Ten minutes and a wrench or two, if you have the upper cowl off.

B148, according to my drawing. There's an in-line fuse holder, so it's pretty easy to spot. The drawing shows it connected to the battery terminal. I really don't remember if mine was connected there or to the hot side of the master relay, but now it's on the switched side of the master. Ten minutes and a wrench or two, if you have the upper cowl off.

Thank you for the quick response. Very good instructions.

Back