What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL Touch Screen

brick

I'm researching touch screens and am curious if any person is using the MGL touch screen. My intensions are for VFR only. Thanks

I have the Challenger Lite temporarily installed in my RV6. I like it now that I have learned the menus. The touch works good! The pressure sensitivity is adjustable. Works well in rough air. Later I may install the mid size Explorer permanently. The Challenger is for a Moose I am building and the RV almost had the space in the panel so I made a bracket that holds the display about 2 inches in front of the panel. I do like the CAN network MGL uses. Wiring is simple and light. I have no engine monitors or radios working with it at this time. I'd recommend it for the price.

Thanks for your reply, its nice to hear that you are liking it after some experience with it. I will use this as one positive towards MGL

MGL touch Screen

I have been using the 8.5". Explorer lite in my RV7, touch screen can be a little challenging in turbulence, but the rotary controls also work. Also have the V10 radio, ST165 Transponder, Navworx adsb600-bg,sp6,sp7,extender,AP servos. The manuals are very extensive, be prepared to read, use Acrobat to search the pdf's. Support when you need it is a phone call or email away. I have had an Enigma in a previous experimental and used it in the RV before upgrading.

K Rhea
RV7 O-320D2a Catto 2 blade
321.hours Since October 2014

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you are pleased with the product. Like yourself I will be prepared for plenty of reading. I assume I would have to do that with any of the glass panels. Once again don't hear any real negative issues with the product. One more thumbs up

The MGL iEFIS systems have their pros and cons. The pros are many, they can do more than any other EFIS system out there. You can program your screens any way you want them, and there's 9 of them on each panel. They have all kinds of inputs for custom gauges and controls, etc, etc. You have 4 video inputs on each screen. They have more outputs then any other system. They have endless expansion. Connects to most modem Nav/Comm's and GPS's. RS 232 & ARNIC. And the price is pretty low compared to the competition. And MGL doesn't soak you for add on after add on. After some growing pains I've found them to be pretty reliable. Customer service from MGL USA, Matt, has been great over the years. Now for the cons... Even though they will light up and run right out of the box, if you want to customize your system, and that's one of the main reasons to buy MGL, it takes some time to learn how it all works. The iEFIS simulator for Windows is almost like being in the plane and the design mode is how you get to the magic. I have designed many screens, gauges, inputs, interfaces, etc. It's fun. No other system can do this. That being said, a major con is poor documentation, you really need to spend time and learn how to use it from trial and error. I installed my system about 4 years ago and I still find new things it can do. Think of it like building your own computer, you buy the parts, put it all together and then you program it how you want it for your plane. It really is a learning curve. If you're not good with that this EFIS is not for you. It's not as refined as the hi dollar units and sometimes you'll find a bug or two but time and time again I've seen the hi dollars units full of bugs and limitations. My system is elaborate with many custom designs I've done including an Android computer interfaced to the iEFIS, it took some time.

finished.jpg

At first I hated the thing! The more I use it the more I like it. Looks like Fasglas should show Matt the screens he made. Nice! I'd like those myself especially when I get the engine monitor going someday. I have the VM1000 that works good for now. I started to mess with making a screen but lack the time since I have a another project going and it's really not my forte but I think I can fight my way through it.

As far as using it in rough air, my setup works well since I can steady my hand on the outside of the unit while bumping around. Might consider some kind of tab proud of the unit on the sides to rest a few fingers on to steady yourself??

My experience is good with support also. Matt's always been quick to help.

Thanks for the insightful information on MGL. Nice interior by the way. Gathering all the thoughts which each person has given, the product sounds quite stable overall. From what I'm gathering it's going to more of strictly learning curve. We all learned how to use a computer, pay bills online etc and that was all a little intimidating at first now its normal everyday stuff. If not mistaken MGL has been around for about 16 years don't quote me on that, so seems to me if it was a crappy company they would be out of business years ago. I to agree that other units have glitches also and like you mentioned that every time you want to add something they pretty much want your first born. Once again another thumbs up for MGL don't see any real negative stuff about it. Thanks for the reply.

Back