What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

8 vs. 8A

mcoyne34

I?m sure it?s been asked thousand times already, is there a noticeable difference between the two? Is it true that the 8A has a weak nose gear, and something I should be concerned about?

I was leaning towards the -8 until I got insurance quotes. At $1200/yr more for the tailwheel, it got me thinking about the 8A.

Insurance

Get some other quotes, an additional $1200. because of the tail wheel sounds excessive. My tailwheel 8 policy is slightly higher than what I paid for coverage on a previously owned 8A, everything else being equal.
Dick

I?m sure it?s been asked thousand times already, is there a noticeable difference between the two? Is it true that the 8A has a weak nose gear, and something I should be concerned about?

I was leaning towards the -8 until I got insurance quotes. At $1200/yr more for the tailwheel, it got me thinking about the 8A.

All the A model RVs have a front TAXI wheel that I would not call a nose gear. Fly the airplane correctly where the front wheel is only used as a taxi wheel and there is no problem.

Get some other quotes, an additional $1200. because of the tail wheel sounds excessive. My tailwheel 8 policy is slightly higher than what I paid for coverage on a previously owned 8A, everything else being equal.
Dick

My tailwheel RV policy is less than $300 for $1-Million liability only policy. Not sure my over 3,000 hours in tailwheel aircraft has to do with that.

$80,000 hull full coverage for my 8 tailwheel is $1000/yr. if you ever plan on grass strips, go with 8.

Is it time related. Mine went way down once I reached 500 hours tailwheel time. That was a while back

Low time tailwheel, expect around $1,800 year. That is what I paid on my 8 and 4 through Falcon.

Low time, around 170TT IR pilot with zero tail time. All quotes wereassuming $80k hull. For tail dragger AVEMCO was $5900/yr, another insurance was $3600/yr and AOPA was $2600/yr. the -8A through AOPA was $1400/yr. So, it?s definitely time related and high due to lack of tailwheel.

Try talking to Gallagher or Falcon agencies. They are both popular in the experimental community and could find you a better quote.

An initial high quote may come down a lot after the first year once you've gained some time on type.

Try talking to Gallagher or Falcon agencies. They are both popular in the experimental community and could find you a better quote.

An initial high quote may come down a lot after the first year once you've gained some time on type.

Gallagher was the $3600 quote. Couldn?t think of their name. I?m still a bit out, but I?ll see what Falcon says. Thanks

Nose gear weak?

No, I don't think the nose wheel gear leg is weak. It does take a little getting used to as it is good and flexy. If you watch your landings for any extra speed after the flair, you will want to hold the aircraft just off the runway tell it is ready to settle. If you bounce it with any extra speed the gear will try to tuck under because of the leaver force put on the front fork. On grass or hi-drag suffices this combined tuck and drag can lead to the front gear leg bending back and under. If you get the feel of checking your flair just off the ground and holding that, you will do just fine. While first getting used to this, I have bounced a couple of times, but the throttle in the other hand took care of that, by pushing it up for a go-round, tell I got the hang or it. Your fine with either bird as far as I can see. The tail wheel has its getting used to as well.
Just our two cents. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

never had a problem with my 8A on grass

i-BXgZxmj-X4.jpg

Find a new insurance company!

I'm a low time pilot and my total costs for my -8(tail wheel) is $1484 w/70k on the hull. Call Leah Ringeisen Gallagher Aviation. You seriously need to find a new insurance company.

Go for the TW, you won't regret it for a moment.

Shocking

Gallagher was the $3600 quote. Couldn’t think of their name. I’m still a bit out, but I’ll see what Falcon says. Thanks

These prices you are being quoted a shocking. I had about 200 hours of logged total time and 100 hours of tail wheel when I got my quote for $1484.

Last edited:
Low time, around 170TT IR pilot with zero tail time. All quotes wereassuming $80k hull. For tail dragger AVEMCO was $5900/yr, another insurance was $3600/yr and AOPA was $2600/yr. the -8A through AOPA was $1400/yr. So, it’s definitely time related and high due to lack of tailwheel.

In addition, where you base it might impact your rates. A short grass strip will get you higher rates over a long paved strip.

These are spot on.

After you get 100 hours in type/ tailwheel, it will come down.

Negotiate with your vendor. Ask what it will come down to, if you get your endorsement in something else and maybe 20 hours if TW time.

Don't build an -8A, they are the Tripacer of the Van's fleet.

Last edited:
Ins is always based on risks, t/w is considered higher on the risk scale as far as Ins Co's are concerned, personally I can't understand this as a conventional u/c a/c is far better to handle and safer "IF" the driver has been taught properly.
Plenty of 'A' models have gone A over T due poor weak design, even Vans where forced to build an ' A' model due customer pressure. Personally Vans ruined the desgn by adding a 'Girly' version but hey Vans are n business to make money not for looks alone:) I have to pay a premium for my 8 due the 'average' pilot out there and I have over 11000 hrs! Just the way it is!

Last edited:
Strange

Brian, that?s who I got my quote from through Gallagher. The exact amount was $3692/yr.

That seems very strange that it's over 2x. Something doesn't add up. Make sure you are talking to the right person there. PM or email me if you want the phone number of the rep that I worked with.

That said, I think I'd pay the extra and get the TW! :)

This question has been posted many times. My personal opinion is the 8 is a sexier looking airplane than the 8A. The 8A is much more cross wind capable. When they are off the ground there is no difference. As for a weak nose gear, the rollovers in the 6,7 and 8 are almost always pilot error, if you land hard on the nose gear it can make for a very bad day.

This is just a false statement. Period.

How about "For most pilots, the -A will be more crosswind capable."

The reality is that a lot of us (myself included) fly well under 100 hours a year and don't get that much crosswind practice. So when the wind kicks up, it can be a challenge. I suspect, but don't know, that the -A pilots sweat a little less in those situations.

How about "For most pilots, the -A will be more crosswind capable."

The reality is that a lot of us (myself included) fly well under 100 hours a year and don't get that much crosswind practice. So when the wind kicks up, it can be a challenge. I suspect, but don't know, that the -A pilots sweat a little less in those situations.

You?re absolutely correct Kyle. I have a lots of hours in both conventional and tricycle gear aircraft and have never said, well, I can handle more in a trike. You should know and respect your, and your aircraft limitations.

Still, most pilots, if properly trained and current, the little wheel position is moot.

This, like most opinions is worth what you paid for it..

Is there anyone in the DFW area that would be willing to show off their completed 8 or 8A, and maybe take me for a ride? I would cover the gas of course.

8 ride

Mike,

Send me a pm.

I have an 8 at NW regional airport, if we can find a suitable date I would be glad to show it to you.. there is also a 8 under construction in hanger I'm in.

My day job is taking way to much time early this month so I can have the end off for Oshkosh.

Ok Jerry, let's just say for me the 8A is a better cross wind airplane. I left my 8 in the hangar on many days that I would have flown my 8A. But your the man, period.

Pat

This is like the primer wars. My opinion, when asked if his question, is to ask the insurance companies. Are fixed gear better that retract? Ask the insurance company and quote both. Single engine versus twin? Tailwheel versus trike?

Can a good tailwheel Pilot handle strong crosswinds in either plane? Sure.

How many newly designed piston singles are fixed gear? Most if not all. Why is that?

How many newly designed planes are tricycle gear? Most if not all. Why is that?

I believe the word was "Capable". I like many pilots can handle a cross wind in most cases in either model. But when it's a significant cross wind I always liked having that third wheel up there. But hey, if I agreed with Jerry we would both be wrong.

Again...

I believe the word was "Capable". I like many pilots can handle a cross wind in most cases in either model. But when it's a significant cross wind I always liked having that third wheel up there. But hey, if I agreed with Jerry we would both be wrong.

I?m assuming that means I?m wrong. Oh well, not the first time and surely not the last..

Unable to resist getting into this one, it seems no one's mentioned that fact that the -8 has an additional method of controlling direction when the tires are planted on the ground - the locking tailwheel. The advantage is minimal, but not when brake fade happens. Just a consideration.

Spoke with Leah from Gallagher this morning, they misheard my total time hours. Had me down as only having 60. So that explains the high quotes. With this new news, I will be building the tailwheel version.

Thank you to everyone for the responses.

Both are great airplanes, you will love the 8. I would be flying one today but the wife never liked the back seat so flying another wonderful airplane, the 7A.

I'm shopping for a 6/6a right now. I'm low time with only about 200 hrs total and no tailwheel time. The difference in annual premiums (through Gallagher) between the two was only $177. Significantly longer transition training requirements for tailwheel though.

Difference between the new quotes was around $200/yr. $1500 for tailwheel and $1300/yr for the -A. Both required 10 hours of dual instruction and five hours of solo time prior to carrying any passengers. Definitely makes my decision easy

Spoke with Leah from Gallagher this morning, they misheard my total time hours. Had me down as only having 60. So that explains the high quotes. With this new news, I will be building the tailwheel version.

Thank you to everyone for the responses.

Great news!

Since it takes years to build, see if you can't find a local tailwheel instructor and try to fly an hour every month or two. Then by the time you are finished you will have plenty of TW experience to fly your new RV-8!

Congratulations!

Great news!

Since it takes years to build, see if you can't find a local tailwheel instructor and try to fly an hour every month or two. Then by the time you are finished you will have plenty of TW experience to fly your new RV-8!

Congratulations!

That's the plan. Can't wait to get this things finished. Thank you

Am surprised at one of the most docil and easy conventional u/c designs there is (8) attracts that much training requirements? I'd never flown a high perf conventional u/c plane till I bought my 8, almost puts my feet to sleep its that easy👍🙂

Am surprised at one of the most docil and easy conventional u/c designs there is (8) attracts that much training requirements? I'd never flown a high perf conventional u/c plane till I bought my 8, almost puts my feet to sleep its that easy👍🙂

You fellas outside the US apparently never got the memo that the 8 was squirrelly and hard to land. Heck I've even seen non 'murican RV-8 pilots three point the thing solo. :eek:

You fellas outside the US apparently never got the memo that the 8 was squirrelly and hard to land. Heck I've even seen non 'murican RV-8 pilots three point the thing solo. :eek:

Hahaha👍:D it's funny the stigma the 8 has amongst a lot of pilots. I know of some high time drivers who instruct yet still wont take on an 8 solo....I love it, feels like we 8 drivers are NASA Rocketeers👍:D

Hahaha👍:D it's funny the stigma the 8 has amongst a lot of pilots. I know of some high time drivers who instruct yet still wont take on an 8 solo....I love it, feels like we 8 drivers are NASA Rocketeers👍:D

Well.....some of us ARE.....or were.....(and I know of one former Shutle commander building one right now.....:D

I can't take it anymore.

I'll sell the Pitts S1S and auction off my 29year old RV4 and get a real man's plane. Anyone know of a muscle bound -8 ?? :D

Cheers Hans

I can't take it anymore.

I'll sell the Pitts S1S and auction off my 29year old RV4 and get a real man's plane. Anyone know of a muscle bound -8 ?? :D

Cheers Hans

Doesn't your Pitts have spring gear? If so, I agree you need an RV-8 to finally have a real man's airplane. :D

Sometimes in life ya just gotta man up!::D:D

What I'd love to have is an RV4 as a single seat but the same cockpit space/width as an 8
Love the 4 style but too cramped and limited for my liking. -:)
Come on Vans some of us out there are real men, we want a fresh challenging design for a change!👍👍

Back