What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X auto pilot servo settings

I had an issue with the AP overshooting headings by quite a bit. Garmin suggested I try the following.

75% torque / .8 gain on ROLL
79% torque / 1.3 gain for Pitch

I wish I would have documented the before setting. It's better now, but still overshoots a little.

Hello,

Just a reminder that Appendix A of the Rev. AD G3X/G3X Touch Installation Manual is called FLIGHT TEST PLAN FOR AUTOPILOT TUNING and includes pretty comprehensive autopilot tuning instructions for anyone wanting to make improvements to the default settings.

Let us know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Setting

I needed to make very small changes and wait at least a minute before next change.It is very easy to go right past the best setting.

I noticed that on the Van’s WEB site for the RV 14, they have recommended setting for the Garmin Auto Pilot system. I wonder how much difference between the -14 and the -10 would be with the same settings.

Togaflyer,
Here are the settings I started out on and mostly still the same.

ROLL SERVO:
Gain 0.8
Max Torque 100%
Fine adjust amount 0.0
Fine adjust time 0.2 ( I think this was not available on my G3X system but not sure. Will have to check)

PITCH SERVO:
Max torque 100%
Gain 2.5
Fine adjust amount 1.0
Fine adjust time 0.2

PITCH GAIN:
Min AS 70Kts
Max AS 180Kts
Vert speed gain 1.4
Vert accel gain 1.0
Airspeed gain 1.35
Airspeed accel gain 1.0

I have reduced the Pitch servo gain over time to smooth altitude hold from 2.5 to (from memory) around 1.8. The servo pitch changes were too abrupt in level flight to my liking.
I occasionally have a little hunting in HDG and NAV mode. I have not been able to correct that. It only happens once in a while and usually on longer flights. When it does this it will overshoot the initial set heading by about 5 degrees, turn back on correct heading fairly quickly. It will then slowly rock the wings while not noticeably going off heading. Maybe someone can help me with this issue.

Hope this helps.

Johan

Johan, I have the same HDG hunting problem. Happens on long flights, turbulence, or steady cross wind......can't seem to lock it in...I hope we can find more input on how to solve.

Ron
RV-10
Austin, Tx

Back