What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Practice Kits Complete! Lots of pics

jMINTj

Title says it all. I finished the practice kits a couple of weeks ago, 3 in all, including Cleaveland's cell phone practice which was included with tool kit! My -7A fuse arrived a couple weeks ago and I've started on that, but haven't riveted yet due to primer debate and availability issues since I'm in Europe. Tell me what you think! You can see some squashed rivets on the cell phone holder, pic #3. I electd not to drill them out. Learned the lesson to always check the regulator pressure there. Don't worry, I got my first taste of drilling out rivets during the practice skin :p I'm excited to be done and working on my actual build. I'll start my build log thread here soon!

img_2623.jpg

img_2624.jpg

img_2625.jpg

img_2639.jpg

img_2627.jpg

img_2628.jpg

img_2630.jpg

img_2636.jpg

img_2631.jpg

yep
Your kits look 100% better than mine!!
when i started my emp I was scared but after a few screw ups and tips from my EAA guys I got the hang of it..

when using a manual squeezer , take your time set it right,
bucking or back rivett it's all about the correct air pressure

and GREAT LIGHTING you do better work when its fastened down ( clamps) and you can see all your work..

Best of Luck!!

Thanks for the replies! I was a bit concerned as there's not really an EAA chapter here in Spain, so I'll be on my own for the first bit of time as I begin. I'm actively looking for someone with RV experience here, however. So hopefully I'll find them soon. In the meantime, there's always the possibility of redoing the empennage later if it looks too terrible, right?? :p

Seriously though, I was worried about some scratches and knicks in the aluminum from errant spinning drill bits and such. Also there's the occasional "spin-off" when I don't quite get set above the match drill hole I'm trying to ream or final drill, resulting in a curved "adventure" across the surface with the drill bit. Luckily these things buff out and a little primer will make them no worse for the wear!

There is a wealth of experts here on the forums that have decades upon decades of combined experience. Even though you don't have an EAA chapter nearby, thankfully in this day and age its easy to share photos on this site and have access to all this tribal knowledge.

The folks on here are truly awesome, and very helpful. We as new builders are blessed to be able to so easily ask them for advice, share photos and get tips and tricks, sometimes within minutes of asking.

So no worries about not having an EAA...you have VAF :) Keep on building, and have fun!

That looks much better then mine did when I started. I also live in Europe and had a huge prime war with myself due to the lack availability due to EU laws. I did a lot of testing and finally found something that works for me. I am sure you will too. No worries on not having an EAA chapter. All you need is here on VAF. I did it the same way. Good luck with the build.

Primer... ugh

Nooooooooo.... you forgot to prime the inside! :D

That looks much better then mine did when I started. I also live in Europe and had a huge prime war with myself due to the lack availability due to EU laws. I did a lot of testing and finally found something that works for me. I am sure you will too. No worries on not having an EAA chapter. All you need is here on VAF. I did it the same way. Good luck with the build.

I had SUCH a hard time with the primer decision. I finally decided on a mix of options, rattle self-etching for the tail sections and epoxy (non-chromate) for the interior high-traffic areas. I've got a post about it on my build log describing the struggle with the EU laws and availability as well. Speaking of which, I'm off to shoot some primer and dimple some skins!

Not to steal the thread on primers
I work in Boating/yards etc
This is what I decided to use, easy its 2 part, hard and should be available in EU as its made there... My local eaa guys seem to like it as well, no mess etc You simply remove the red tool and it punctures the hardener that is built in the can and shake and spray

71GbyZgCoTL._SL1500_.jpg

About the 5:13 mark you can see how it works

watch

Last edited:
Great start! I had no formal training, experience or EAA chapter but still......Built an aero Plane in the garage with the help of all the experience of the wonderful people here on VAF!

Seriously though, I was worried about some scratches and knicks in the aluminum from errant spinning drill bits and such.

Bahahahahahahahahaha! Scratches .. I can't even look at my plane without the aluminum scratching .. matter of fact just mentioning it probably caused some scratches ..

Back